TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know how to get the thing to go up but am having trouble getting it down. I thought I just flip the little lever thing down and then crank the handle and it would lower. But when i try to lower it, the hole lift mech. just drops. What am I doing wrong? I would like to figure this thing out in my garage rather then the trail when my truck is in 2 feet of mud. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Hi-Lift has to have, I believe, 100 Lbs (or is it 20 Lbs I forget), on it in order to ratchet down. What you are seeing is normal for no weight.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I agree, it requires some weight to be effective. I suggest practicing with the jack and your truck on a level, solid surface such as the garage. Set up the jack and lift the truck just a few clicks so the wheels are still in contact with the garage floor. Now reset the control arm on the jack to lower and operate the handle to "lower" the truck the three clicks.

See how this works. When you are comfortable, safely lift the truck higher and lower it to become comfortable with the jack operation. Hang on the the handle, wear gloves and think safety (important whenever lifting a vehicle with any type of jack).

Now practice practice practice and hopefully you will never need the jack in the mud on the trail.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
OK, I know how to get the thing to go up but am having trouble getting it down. I thought I just flip the little lever thing down and then crank the handle and it would lower. But when i try to lower it, the hole lift mech. just drops. What am I doing wrong? I would like to figure this thing out in my garage rather then the trail when my truck is in 2 feet of mud. :D
Put your foot & some weight down on the Jack and give it a try - it needs to have some weight on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe you will need to put some weight on it.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
I think the instructions say it needs 150lbs to ratchet down. The idea it once the load is on the ground, the foot drops to the bottom to be stored or to do another job. It a time saver.

I've used mine several times. Be careful, it's not as stable as a bottle or floor jack. Also, stand to the side of the handle when lifting or dropping. If the handle were to backlash, it would have all of the weight of the vehicle behind it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
ogre-in-law

I used my over-sized brother to test it, screw my lightweight tacoma, HAHAHA.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a specific position teh handle should be in when you switch to lower? I think it is suposed to up right but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
tacd44 said:
Also, stand to the side of the handle when lifting or dropping. If the handle were to backlash, it would have all of the weight of the vehicle behind it. :eek:

ha, good point, ive seen many people get wacked in the chin from that, to a certian extent its funny as hell, however i have saw someone acidentally hit the handle while it was in the lower position and the handle bounced up, and well kept wratchting down untill the vehicle fell on the ground (not very safe) i always pull the handle out when the truck is in the air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts