TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is my driver side boot wearing and not the passenger side. The passenger side has like about 1/16" of clearence and the Driver side is rubbing, slowly wearing away at itself. Could it be the alignment? I put in a a Cornfed diff drop and I don't think it did ANYTHING for the inner CV boots. When I had the bolts off I moved it around to see how much of a change it made and I didn't see jack. I left it in for peace of mine but I am considering taking it out along with my 2.5" spacers and putting 2" spacers. At 50 bucks an axel, it is only a matter of time before I end up paying more in the cost of replacing the boots then just swaping out the spacers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For starters the drivers side of the truck has more weight on that side (drive, gas tank, battery) so it will tend to lean more to that side.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That doesn't make sense though...if the drivers side was heavier, it would sit lower, the cv angle wouldn't be as bad, and the boot wouldn't rub/tear.

As far as the driver's side on wearing...if you have add, the drivers side is the only one that is spinning ALL the time, therefor it will wear more frequently.

·
Registered
67 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Why is my driver side boot wearing and not the passenger side. The passenger side has like about 1/16" of clearence and the Driver side is rubbing, slowly wearing away at itself. Could it be the alignment? I put in a a Cornfed diff drop and I don't think it did ANYTHING for the inner CV boots. When I had the bolts off I moved it around to see how much of a change it made and I didn't see jack. I left it in for peace of mine but I am considering taking it out along with my 2.5" spacers and putting 2" spacers. At 50 bucks an axel, it is only a matter of time before I end up paying more in the cost of replacing the boots then just swaping out the spacers.
This is my experience....
I put SAW's on and adjusted them so the fins just cleared. Got the truck lined up and the driver's side fins touched. Experimented with a diff drop and came to the same conclusion as you. I adjusted the shocks so I was a little lower. Since I had to realign to correct mostly the toe, I played with the alignment cams myself before taking it back in. This makes all the difference in the world. The hard part was finding a shop that understood I wanted the truck aligned and the fins on the boots separated. Very hard. Very, very hard. Eventually, I found a place that would let me turn wrenches with him and we got the fins the way I wanted them and kept the numbers in the green. Good Luck!

·
Registered
257 Posts
So you were able to basically adjust the spindle away from the frame using top and bottom adjustments? stretching the cv"s out? but keeping or getting everything straight and all.

Any downsides to this you can think of?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:

hi-angle boot kits, $50/axle ;)

and yes, the "diff drop" does nothing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeti said:
So you were able to basically adjust the spindle away from the frame using top and bottom adjustments? stretching the cv"s out? but keeping or getting everything straight and all.

Any downsides to this you can think of?
There's no way to adjust the top. We just played with it until the fins looked good and it was in spec. The downside is most shops are only worried about toe and camber since tires are expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts