TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a complete ome suspension kit for my 05 tacoma .from rocky road

what and how many sets of bushings are needed to install the kit? more specifically, the rear dakar springs. (i hate how this kit did not include instructions!)
i got 2 of the OMESB98 bushing kits. but after taking it out , i realize theres only 4 of the bushings that fit the leaf spring eyelets (two are needed for each eye, so that only gives me half, right?).

there are also 8 other bushings that come in the kits that i have NO idea where they go. i looked around and i cant think of where these would be needed. they arent sway bar bushings, and they arent bushings for the rear shocks, they just look like the ones for the rear leafs but are half the diameter.

the kit also did not come with new u-bolts, do i need to get these?, i measured the thickness of the dakars and its about 1'' thicker than stock, and i only have like 3/4'' of threads with the factory u-bolts/springs. i guess i just answered my own question on that... but why didnt it come with the kit?

im new to truck/leaf suspension. so please bear with me. at the rear of the leafs there seems to be a shackle? and its mounted below the leaf,,, seems to me that its upside down from what i normally consider to be a shackle. ok so anyways,,, do i retain this shackle then i switch over to the OME leafs?,

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You retain the shackle. Leafs need a total of 8 bushings. No idea what the other bushings are for. Yes you need longer u-bolts and either a 2 or 3 degree shim for the spring install. If you take the second OL spring out, you will need a couple of 3/8 washers for the center pin also. It does not have enough thread to tighten the nut down after removing the OL spring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU FOR THE QUICK REPLY!

this whole ordeal has been really pissing me off. because of all the waiting and backordered parts, and now having the wrong stuff.

can you explain to me why i would need/want to take out the 2nd overload spring? are these springs really too stiff the way they are?

the kit came with a driveshaft packer kit, do i need this, will this negate using the shim kit?

also, does anyone know of a place in the bay area that i could pick up a set of u-bolts and shims by this weekend? i dont wan to wait for more stuff in the mail. i finally got time this weekend to install this kit and i would like to take advantage of it,

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you were down here, I'd just give you one of my extra sets of u-bolts, but since you aren't, try 4 wheel parts. They usually stock this stuff. I would definitely used the DS center bearing drop kit and the shim. Wheelers has all of the bushings, shims and u-bolts, but they aren't open until monday. IMO, I would be patient and do the job next weekend. You will never get the bushings out of the old springs (reading your mind) and the shims will help keep the DS vibes down to a minimum. Taking out the second OL spring will lower the back of the truck .50 inch and also smooth out the ride a bit. Trust me, it will be plenty high in the ass end without that OL. If you take it out, be sure to add the washers to the nut side of the center pin. If you add them to the head side, it won't fit into the hole in the perch. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
P.S. the front of the spring is the side with the partial wrap around the eye. Some of these dakars have an "O" or "+" on the front end of the spring. PM me if you need any more info. I did my dakars last weekend. Glad to help out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh well i guess i just have to wait longer.

thanks for your help.

oh yeah,. did you replace your brake lines with this kit?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
oh well i guess i just have to wait longer.

thanks for your help.

oh yeah,. did you replace your brake lines with this kit?
Smart choice! Take your time. I made a brake extension for the bracket at the diff. These OME's flex more than stock and the brake line definitely needed help. Check out this pic. It was a quicky job, but worked out fine.I carefully bent the lines, so they were more vertical, then welded a tab in between the brackets. I don't know why toyota put them at 90 degrees to the axle anyway, makes no sense. Now they aren't getting pulled on at full droop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
alright, i just ordered all the bushings and u-bolts. and brake lines just for the hell of it

the shims you were talking about are these right? http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/product/TTRS.JPG

i wont even be able to work on my truck this weekend as i just put it in the shop,. this is the 2nd throwout bearing it chewed up for no reason!
Yeah, those are the 3 degree shims. IMO, get the steel shims, they don't corrode or split like the aluminum shims. But if that's what ya got, then use them anyway. You may only need the 2 degree, but you won't know until you try them out. Plus, if they are too much, it's an easy enough job to change them out. My brake line fix was a quicky, didn't know I was going to need them until I did the install. OME isn't exactly big on info or instructions. I guess the Aussies know everything at birth.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
the 8 xtra bushings are for the shocks if they r hourglass shaped. when i got my kit it included the 8 shackle bushings that take care of the rear of the leaf pack but i had to buy new bushings and hardware fot the front of the leafs from toyota (had to burn my old ones out).

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the 8 xtra bushings are for the shocks if they r hourglass shaped. when i got my kit it included the 8 shackle bushings that take care of the rear of the leaf pack but i had to buy new bushings and hardware fot the front of the leafs from toyota (had to burn my old ones out).
The leaf pack only takes 8 bushings total. Did you replace the shackle bushings when you put the leafs in? That would explain why you were short bushings. On 05-07 trucks, the shackle bushings don't need to be replaced with this upgrade. They are still too new.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
for my 2000 1 bushing for front of leaf and 4 for rear shackle. x2=10

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
for my 2000 1 bushing for front of leaf and 4 for rear shackle. x2=10
Interesting info. Fill in your sig so we all know what year truck you have. Mine is an 05 = 8 bushings for the leaf pack and 2 for the shackle.:)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
meh i like to be mysterious.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
changed shit up just for you. cause ur special.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the rearend of the truck,
2 Dakar CS047R leafs
1 FK29 Drive line spacer kit
8 90389-A0003 Busings ( for the leafs )
4 OMEU53A U-Bolts
2 N182 Shocks or eqiv.

-tmoore

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
changed shit up just for you. cause ur special.
Dude, I'm feelin' the love. Hold on, is that a small bit of moisture welling up in the corner of my eye? NOPE... Rock on bud:)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm ordering the following parts for the rear end, and want to know if I'm missing anything:

1 Dakar CS046RA leaf
1 Dakar CSO46RB leaf
1 OME Greasable HD Shackel Set (OMEGS12)
1 OME Shackle bushing kit (OMESB88)
1 OME Exhaust Hanger Relocation Bracket (OMEFK21)
1 U-bolt set for OME leaf springs
1 DOT Stainless extended rear brake hose
1 Donahoe Signature Series Rear Reservoir Shock (5-7506)
1 Donahoe Signature Series Rear Reservoir Shock (5-7507)

I know I need to order the bushings for the front end of the leafs, as the shackle bushing kit only covers those on the rear (right?). Can I order just the front ones, or do I have to order a full set?

Also, what the heck is the drive line spacer kit (OMEFK29) for? I assume by the name it spaces the drive line... spaces it from what, though? Do the leafs cause a need for added length to the drive shaft?

Thanks for any help!

-Radar

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Driveline spacer kit should be for the center support bearing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts