TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've narrowed it down and the squeal I have is comming from the brake pad indicators so I'm planning to change my brake pads out here pretty soon. After the 1st of the year I plan on moving up to 33" tires and I'm just wondering if I should try to do anything special to my breaks while I'm in there???

I do not do any wheeling and I'm only concerned with being able to stop! Should I consider some TRD pads or some other brand or just stick with something from autozone or napa? Will the bigger tires make a BIG difference in stopping distance?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
I really like the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. They have the brake quiet stuff already bonded to the back and they are nearly dust-less. I put them on my '93 FZJ80 Land Cruiser which is known for eating up brake pads and they wore very well -- so much so that I noticed the difference in longevity and stopping power.

They are a bit more expensive than your average pad, on par with Toyota pads from TRDParts4U with our discount, but well worth it for the dust-less factor.

Just my .02. I will be replacing my pads with these when needed next.

Jody.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. I put on crossdrilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads when I moved up to 33's. As far as stopping distances, they will increase noticibly, and all the brake work didnt really make that big a difference. But they do keep from fading when driving in the mountains. Besides that there is not much you can do to make stopping improvements.... besides smaller tires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jody,

I'll look into the Wagner's... I like the sound of nearly dustless!!! I hate cleaning the dust off of my wheels every time I wash my truck... Will Napa, Pepboys, Autozone, or somewhere like that carry them? Or will I have to order them from somebody?

Thanks again,

J

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put the Wagners on my Altima I just sold, and they were not bad. They squeaked on the first good stop of the morning and were silent for the rest of the day. The Nissan brakes and rotors were smaller and single piston and I beleive more prone to squeak.

Someone told me to sand the corners off the edges of the friction material to reduce squeaks, will try that next time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not alot!!! LOL!!! I was just wondering if there was something inexpensive that might have been a option to inhance performance a little. Looks like I'll just try the wagner's or maybe some other "high end" brake pad to try to cut down on brake dust and wear.

Thanks for your reply thought, if money wasn't an issue I'd definatly go with some big ass breaks and have them drilled and sloted as well!!

Later,

J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts