TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying sorry if this has been covered numerous times. I did a quick search and found a little but nothing to convince me on what to buy. I'm going to buy some bfg a/t tires for my truck which is a 97 single cab 2.7. I have 265/75/16 C range m/t tires on it now that are shot. I don't want it to ride like a tank so i'm worried D range tires will be too stiff. I can't find the size i need in D range. I'm going to go smaller in size because my truck is stock with 16" rims. For those of you running D range tires, what should i do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'll start by saying sorry if this has been covered numerous times. I did a quick search and found a little but nothing to convince me on what to buy. I'm going to buy some bfg a/t tires for my truck which is a 97 single cab 2.7. I have 265/75/16 C range m/t tires on it now that are shot. I don't want it to ride like a tank so i'm worried D range tires will be too stiff. I can't find the size i need in D range. I'm going to go smaller in size because my truck is stock with 16" rims. For those of you running D range tires, what should i do?
get the Revo's....

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That's half the fun Looking up one thing and finding out more about other things. That's why I've spent hours and hours reading threads on this site. Yes they are stiffer. I run E's and they work great for me. Run my tires Cooper ATR's 265/75/16 at 25 psi. I would rather have a heavier ply so that at the times I wheel I know they will not fail if I need to air down?

·
Registered
717 Posts
load range C is really all that our trucks really need. higher ply tire tipicaly means that you need a stronger tire to do more work, i.e. full size truck, heavier payloads, and a lot of hualing. since the tacoma wasnt designed for those things, we dont require a higher load range tire. but not all tire sizes are available in the load range that we want, so we have to make sacrifices. you may notice a stiffer ride with a higher load range, i have a buddy that has the all terrain T/A KO in the load range D and i can not tell a difference between the way they ride and the way my tires ride, load range C. if you dont like the way it rides when you get them the eayest thing you can do is play with the air pressure, once you find what pressure you like just keep an eye on the tire and make sure the wear is even across the tire. hope that helps.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with NorCal, you are not going to know the difference if you keep the air pressure right. There are a few sizes that tires come in various load ranges and from time to time the wrong load ranges get pulled and put on. I have never had a customer come back and say that their truck was riding too soft or too harsh because they had the wrong load rating. They do complain if you put E load range on and max out the air pressure, but D's at the same air pressure as C's of the exact same tire are going to ride the same.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
load range C is really all that our trucks really need. higher ply tire tipicaly means that you need a stronger tire to do more work, i.e. full size truck, heavier payloads, and a lot of hualing. since the tacoma wasnt designed for those things, we dont require a higher load range tire. but not all tire sizes are available in the load range that we want, so we have to make sacrifices. you may notice a stiffer ride with a higher load range, i have a buddy that has the all terrain T/A KO in the load range D and i can not tell a difference between the way they ride and the way my tires ride, load range C. if you dont like the way it rides when you get them the eayest thing you can do is play with the air pressure, once you find what pressure you like just keep an eye on the tire and make sure the wear is even across the tire. hope that helps.
With a higher load range, you have to run the PSI lower to get the line to wear evenly, which means worse mpg. The heaver tire doesn't help either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking that i might just look for some good 15" wheels and go with the 31/10.5/15 bfg a/t in load range C. I don't have a lot of money and i like the look of the stock 16" wheels so i'm a little dissapointed they don't make smaller 16" tires in the "C" load range.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You can get a tire with a lower rating. You will have to go to a P or STD tire. You will have to stay away from the LT tire. Yes there is P or STD 16" tires for off-read rigs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts