TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased my truck, used, I had to replace the steering rack and a few other suspension components. After replacing the steering rack and inner TRE's, a lot of my problems were alleviated but my steering still felt somewhat loose. Right now I'm running 32' BFG AT's, I just wish my steering was a little tighter. My ES Poly bushings came in the mail last night and I'm wondering if you guys think these will make a dramatic improvement over the stock bushings. The stock bushings themselves look to be in pretty good shape.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
ochatesme said:
When I first purchased my truck, used, I had to replace the steering rack and a few other suspension components. After replacing the steering rack and inner TRE's, a lot of my problems were alleviated but my steering still felt somewhat loose. Right now I'm running 32' BFG AT's, I just wish my steering was a little tighter. My ES Poly bushings came in the mail last night and I'm wondering if you guys think these will make a dramatic improvement over the stock bushings. The stock bushings themselves look to be in pretty good shape.
is there much play of the rack w/in the bushings? if so, replacing them will make a huge difference.
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Toyota/SteerBushing/TacomaSteeringBush.htm

torque the big nut to 141# and the others to 123#
drive around the block and retorque
retorque again after several hundred miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hytenor said:
is there much play of the rack w/in the bushings? if so, replacing them will make a huge difference.
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Toyota/SteerBushing/TacomaSteeringBush.htm

torque the big nut to 141# and the others to 123#
drive around the block and retorque
retorque again after several hundred miles
Alright, I managed to jack the truck up today and took a peek under it while turning the steering wheel. I really don't notice any play in the rack when it's up on the stands. I decided to turn the steering wheel while the truck was sitting stationary w/out the stands and noticed a small amount of play in the rack when turning the wheel. Is it normal for Tacos to have loose steering like this? Could the 32's possibly be contributing to this dilemma?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Your steering bushings are worn out so that's why it's moving. A large C-clamp (6" or greater) will get you through the whole process in about half an hour. Don't be timid getting those bushing out of there.

The "ultimate post whore" covered everything else. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tanto said:
Your steering bushings are worn out so that's why it's moving. A large C-clamp (6" or greater) will get you through the whole process in about half an hour. Don't be timid getting those bushing out of there.

The "ultimate post whore" covered everything else. :D
Sweet, I plan on changing out my bushings real soon. My ES bushing set came in the mail a few days ago. Wen't out and purchased a 22mm and 19mm socket for my wrench, as they were missing from my toolset. The only thing I need now is a good torque wrench and some time.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
ochatesme said:
Alright, I managed to jack the truck up today and took a peek under it while turning the steering wheel. I really don't notice any play in the rack when it's up on the stands. I decided to turn the steering wheel while the truck was sitting stationary w/out the stands and noticed a small amount of play in the rack when turning the wheel. Is it normal for Tacos to have loose steering like this? Could the 32's possibly be contributing to this dilemma?
no and yes ;)

replace them. If you let it go too long you'll wind up replacing the rack as well.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,233 Posts
ochatesme said:
Is it normal for Tacos to have loose steering like this? Could the 32's possibly be contributing to this dilemma?
With stock tires and new bushings, you might still see some play. Thats to absorb road vibrations. When you upgrade to bigger tires, the rack moves more as you try to push those tires around. Poly bushings will give you more feedback in the steering wheel, but mostly it will firm up the rack. Its the #1 mod we recommend to anybody that gets bigger tires and takes their truck offroad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ShowStop said:
With stock tires and new bushings, you might still see some play. Thats to absorb road vibrations. When you upgrade to bigger tires, the rack moves more as you try to push those tires around. Poly bushings will give you more feedback in the steering wheel, but mostly it will firm up the rack. Its the #1 mod we recommend to anybody that gets bigger tires and takes their truck offroad.
This is what I figured, the larger tires just accentuate the amount of movement in the rack. I don't mind a little extra feedback in the wheel but my steering just feels so loose, and this is a steering rack with less than 3000 miles on it. I'm picking up my torque wrench at harbor freight tonight, I will let you guys know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Yes, I know it's late but I just got done changing out my rack bushings for the ES Poly bushings. This was by far the most aggravating task I've ever done on my truck. I started off at about 8:30pm and just got done. My biggest issue was getting the center mount on the steering rack to line up. It then dawned on me that it would make things a hell of a lot easier if I would first torque down the driver's side mount, and then the passenger's side mount. Low and behold, the center mount lined up perfectly, after hours of cussing, throwing tools around, and busting my knuckles open in what little room I had under the truck. I took the truck out for a test drive and I definitely notice a difference, although subtle, my steering wheel definitely doesn't get jerked around like it used to when I would hit a sewer cover or any small bump in the road. Everything wen't smoothly as far as removing the hardware, it was getting the rack back in place that was the hassle. Now if I could only find someone to perfectly balance my BFG's, my ride would be smooth as glass.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
ochatesme said:
Update: Yes, I know it's late but I just got done changing out my rack bushings for the ES Poly bushings. This was by far the most aggravating task I've ever done on my truck. I started off at about 8:30pm and just got done. My biggest issue was getting the center mount on the steering rack to line up. It then dawned on me that it would make things a hell of a lot easier if I would first torque down the driver's side mount, and then the passenger's side mount. Low and behold, the center mount lined up perfectly, after hours of cussing, throwing tools around, and busting my knuckles open in what little room I had under the truck. I took the truck out for a test drive and I definitely notice a difference, although subtle, my steering wheel definitely doesn't get jerked around like it used to when I would hit a sewer cover or any small bump in the road. Everything wen't smoothly as far as removing the hardware, it was getting the rack back in place that was the hassle. Now if I could only find someone to perfectly balance my BFG's, my ride would be smooth as glass.
good news ;)
now, just make sure to retorque all the bolts/nut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohh that's gonna be fun. Getting that torque wrench to click at 141 lbs/ft took some serious muscle.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
ochatesme said:
Ohh that's gonna be fun. Getting that torque wrench to click at 141 lbs/ft took some serious muscle.
o come on....that was the easy one...that top one to 123 is a pain :p
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top