TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have two bad valves on my 99 taco. had a leak down test done to confirm it. I was quoted $500 to have the valve job done by a local machine shop, and i found a reman head for $600. So i figured i would go spend an extra $100 for the reman head. my question is regarding the head swap. Is the head on the 2.7L a major pain? the mechanic quoted me a price for the whole job and he said removal/install on the head is listed as a 1.5 day job. has anyone done this job before? my experience with pulling a head on a little 4 banger is that it takes a few hours maybe, definitely not a day and a half. why does it take so long? I would rather do it myself if it's not a major PITA, as the labor to do it is $1300. I also don't have a lot of time (i'm out of town but i have a garage i can use to do the job), but i don't want to get stuck here any longer than i need to be. I have the feeling it has something to do with resetting the timing chain. Any ideas?

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Ok so i have two bad valves on my 99 taco. had a leak down test done to confirm it. I was quoted $500 to have the valve job done by a local machine shop, and i found a reman head for $600. So i figured i would go spend an extra $100 for the reman head. my question is regarding the head swap. Is the head on the 2.7L a major pain? the mechanic quoted me a price for the whole job and he said removal/install on the head is listed as a 1.5 day job. has anyone done this job before? my experience with pulling a head on a little 4 banger is that it takes a few hours maybe, definitely not a day and a half. why does it take so long? I would rather do it myself if it's not a major PITA, as the labor to do it is $1300. I also don't have a lot of time (i'm out of town but i have a garage i can use to do the job), but i don't want to get stuck here any longer than i need to be. I have the feeling it has something to do with resetting the timing chain. Any ideas?
I have done a "lift and slip" head gasket job on a 2.7, took me almost a whole day and I had help for a bit lifting the head. It was only a hunting camp truck so there was no due diligence just simply lift the head up a couple inches and pull the old gasket out and slip the new one in. Was at least 5 years ago and it is still tramping through the bush.
BTW I am nothing more than a guy who has figured out which way to turn the wrenches most of the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts