TTORA Forum banner

Question about TRD diff lock option

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  1bdtaco 
#1 ·
Probably a dumb question but I am looking at a truck to purchase that is very far from my location. The inexperienced owner (selling for his son) cannot tell me if the vehicle has a diff lock or not. I noticed in the pics that it does have the ECT button to the left but he says it might be a dead plate where the diff lock button should be. Is it possible to have the ECT button but not a diff lock?

Basically I think it is strange because the man says his son (who owns the truck) searched far and wide for it and built it up with long travel suspension and a prerunner look to it. I don't feel like a prerunner/ offroad enthusiast would have gone out of his way to build up a truck that doesn't even have a locker.

Any info would help, I am trying to save myself a big drive and if it doesn't have a rear locker it'd be a deal breaker.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The ECT button only changes the shift points of the auto trans and is not a TRD only thing. The locker button on a TRD is labeled RR DIFF LOCK. The only way to actually confirm is to have the guy take a picture of the rear end. If it's a locker, it will have an actuator motor bolted to it on the driver side of the pinion yoke.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic http://imgur.com/SiNICfKthat I have of the interior. It is difficult to tell whether or not the button is just a dead plate or faded.

I will ask him to send me a photo of the rear end and see what we're dealing with.

If I get the VIN is there a way to search online if it has certain options? He is a nice guy but he is selling for his son and is very inexperienced with vehicle tech and I want to make it easy for him.

Thanks again for the help!

#4 ·
i dont see the diff lock in that picture, i would think it does not have it. ask for a picture of the rear axle from mid way down the truck. that will tell you 100%

#5 ·
Thanks! yeah I was hoping it had it because then we would have a done deal. So strange that someone would build up a pre runner without even an aftermarket locking diff. I know I could do it but I wanted something a lot more turn key and go, not add work right away.:saw::welder:

#7 ·
Its the only pictures he had on hand, trust me I know it could be solved easily other ways but the guy is old and has no idea what the hell a locking diff is. Asking him to take more photos for me, feels like a foreign concept to him.

#13 ·
Well if he wants to sell the truck tell him to get his ass out there and look at the axle or take pictures of it. If he isn't willing to do that, move on.
Moved on for the exact reason. Guy was too hard to get ahold of and I found something that fits the bill perfectly today. Life is funny like that. Taking the new find to the mechanic to get a professional opinion before I make the next move. Wish me luck!

Sorry, my bad, I could have sworn your location was Denver.
Good luck
I updated today right when you said you would go look for me. I just moved to AZ From Denver. Your offer reminded me that my old location made me seem much farther away then I am. Glad to be here and thank you again!

If you guys know a good website to get a carfax for less then $50 bucks, I am all ears! when did car fax get so pricey sheesh! :dunno:

#8 ·
If It is out this way, I might be able to take a look for you.

Then there is the diff drain plug location, might be easier for the fellow to identify over the phone. Driver side on the e-locker, pass side for the "standard" 8.4" diff. Not likely a non e-locker 8" rear was swapped in.

#10 ·
Thanks but I couldn't ask you to go all the way to AZ for me. Besides, I am closer. :eek: Just trying to save myself a few hours on what could be a deal breaker. I'll get ahold of him today and tell him about the drain plug. Hopefully we can get this ironed out soon!:)

FYI the 4cyl auto 2wd TRD did not get the locking diff.
This particular model has the V6. Its a really clean looking truck with low miles and it is priced just under KBB. Not having a locker or 4WD would kind of explain a low price on a built truck though. Although there is the chance that with a lift and wide fenders etc, it is keeping the average joe from wanting to DD it so he has to lower the price. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.