TTORA Forum banner

Question about TRD diff lock option

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  1bdtaco 
#1 ·
Probably a dumb question but I am looking at a truck to purchase that is very far from my location. The inexperienced owner (selling for his son) cannot tell me if the vehicle has a diff lock or not. I noticed in the pics that it does have the ECT button to the left but he says it might be a dead plate where the diff lock button should be. Is it possible to have the ECT button but not a diff lock?

Basically I think it is strange because the man says his son (who owns the truck) searched far and wide for it and built it up with long travel suspension and a prerunner look to it. I don't feel like a prerunner/ offroad enthusiast would have gone out of his way to build up a truck that doesn't even have a locker.

Any info would help, I am trying to save myself a big drive and if it doesn't have a rear locker it'd be a deal breaker.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The ECT button only changes the shift points of the auto trans and is not a TRD only thing. The locker button on a TRD is labeled RR DIFF LOCK. The only way to actually confirm is to have the guy take a picture of the rear end. If it's a locker, it will have an actuator motor bolted to it on the driver side of the pinion yoke.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic http://imgur.com/SiNICfKthat I have of the interior. It is difficult to tell whether or not the button is just a dead plate or faded.

I will ask him to send me a photo of the rear end and see what we're dealing with.

If I get the VIN is there a way to search online if it has certain options? He is a nice guy but he is selling for his son and is very inexperienced with vehicle tech and I want to make it easy for him.

Thanks again for the help!

#4 ·
i dont see the diff lock in that picture, i would think it does not have it. ask for a picture of the rear axle from mid way down the truck. that will tell you 100%

#5 ·
Thanks! yeah I was hoping it had it because then we would have a done deal. So strange that someone would build up a pre runner without even an aftermarket locking diff. I know I could do it but I wanted something a lot more turn key and go, not add work right away.:saw::welder:

#7 ·
Its the only pictures he had on hand, trust me I know it could be solved easily other ways but the guy is old and has no idea what the hell a locking diff is. Asking him to take more photos for me, feels like a foreign concept to him.

#14 ·
I updated today right when you said you would go look for me. I just moved to AZ From Denver. Your offer reminded me that my old location made me seem much farther away then I am. Glad to be here and thank you again!
Thanks for that! I thought I was loosing more of my mind, not that much left to spare.

#16 ·
Thanks for that! I thought I was loosing more of my mind, not that much left to spare.
No worries, thanks for reminding me to update it!

Like everything else, the price of a product will continue to rise until the number of people who buy it begins to decline.
You can say that again! It's a great service but $50 for one carfax report is a bit much.

#8 ·
If It is out this way, I might be able to take a look for you.

Then there is the diff drain plug location, might be easier for the fellow to identify over the phone. Driver side on the e-locker, pass side for the "standard" 8.4" diff. Not likely a non e-locker 8" rear was swapped in.

#10 ·
Thanks but I couldn't ask you to go all the way to AZ for me. Besides, I am closer. :eek: Just trying to save myself a few hours on what could be a deal breaker. I'll get ahold of him today and tell him about the drain plug. Hopefully we can get this ironed out soon!:)

FYI the 4cyl auto 2wd TRD did not get the locking diff.
This particular model has the V6. Its a really clean looking truck with low miles and it is priced just under KBB. Not having a locker or 4WD would kind of explain a low price on a built truck though. Although there is the chance that with a lift and wide fenders etc, it is keeping the average joe from wanting to DD it so he has to lower the price. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.