TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for being sucha newb but i have a 98 taco with the trd off-road package but mine is an auto and was wondering if anyone can tell me if im right in beleiving that mine has a locker and from what i`ve read will only engage in 4-lo. As well I`m looking for a minimal lift (2") but want Reliability and drivability out of it.what is my best route?sorry i know its been covered before, just so many companys and so many different options(im a little confused). last thing, i am debating between BFG`s AT and Toyo Open Country AT's. any input would be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There are vast amounts of information on this site pertaining to all of your questions. Just use the search feature at the top of the page and type in a couple of key words and you will have lists and lists of threads.
Yes, you should have a e-locker unless someone put the TRD stickers on a non-TRD truck. There is a button to the left of the steering column that opperates it. I think you are correct that it will only opperate in 4-lo, but there is a mod (gray wire mod?) that can be found on this site to change that.
For lift info check out the suspension section. There are tons of options depending on how much you care to spend.
The tire section has tons of info about both of those tires as well.
Welcome to TTORA! Where abouts in CA are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Call Jason at Wheelers offroad and get an OME kit. Best ride on 2.5" of lift out there, plus a good starting point for future mods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i suppose i should have been more clear in what i was asking.I am looking more so for opinions on what people think is a good solid lift thats still dd friendly. In a previous post i was reading "lawdog" was thinking of going with "Camburg 2.5 or SAW 2.5 up front with Camburg UCA's, Deaver AAL in rear with Bilstein 5100 shocks" and most ppl seemed to agree that it was a good start,am i safe in assuming that this is a good way to go?. As well i'm thinking of adding a 2" body lift on top of the 2" suspension lift and was wondering if i would have to have a diff drop or could i run it without any problems?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Since it looks like you live in salt country you may want to consider the Donahoe COs wit "Extream Weather Coating." The hoes are good on and off road; I like mine.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the body lift for a dd...or really any truck for that matter, but some folks do make good use of them. I'm assuming that if you want 2" suspension and 2" body you're looking at going to 33x12.50's? That means you're going to need new gears as well...then you might as well get a locker right away....

·
Registered
597 Posts
OK = Toytec 2.5" spacer w/ aal in the back
Good = OME 881's or 882's (w/OME shocks) w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back (great setup, I love mine)
Better = SAW's 2.0 or 2.5 (w/Bilstein shocks) ( w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back
Best = Donahoe CO's (w/Bilstein shocks) w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back
Bestest = SAS (solid axle swap in the front) springs in the back

But each of these choices depend on what you want to do with your truck, but generally what was stated is true.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Call Jason at Wheelers offroad and get an OME kit. Best ride on 2.5" of lift out there, plus a good starting point for future mods.
Most people will disagree with you on this. The coils tend to sag over time and they will not be the "best ride out there". Look into saw 2.0, ho's, or other coilover's with either deavers or alcans in the rear. :2cents:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK = Toytec 2.5" spacer w/ aal in the back
Good = OME 881's or 882's (w/OME shocks) w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back (great setup, I love mine)
Better = SAW's 2.0 or 2.5 (w/Bilstein shocks) ( w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back
Best = Donahoe CO's (w/Bilstein shocks) w/ dakar or deaver leafs in the back
Bestest = SAS (solid axle swap in the front) springs in the back

But each of these choices depend on what you want to do with your truck, but generally what was stated is true.
thank you this was exactly the kind of info i was after!
I'm not going really big or anticipate going really big just want some added lift for getting through some deep snow or muddy trails come hunting season, and some but a limited amount of 4wheeling in the summer.-not enough time-

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
thank you this was exactly the kind of info i was after!
I'm not going really big or anticipate going really big just want some added lift for getting through some deep snow or muddy trails come hunting season, and some but a limited amount of 4wheeling in the summer.-not enough time-
I happen to love my OME's. I have the 882 springs with an AAL in the rear on a Double cab with ARB front. Had them over 35,000 miles and they've held enough lift for me and running 32's on that lift. I really haven't had that much sagging at all. And I personally like the ride on them with the firm shocks.

And I have the BFG's right now, and haven't been impressed with them for the cost. I'm actually going to the Toyo AT's this next time for cost and hopefully better traction/wear compared to my BFG's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the TOYO AT's on my old toyota and the had lots of bite in the deep snow and mud i was going through and they were awesome in terms of wear.How do you guys feel the BFG mud terrain tires hold up overall?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts