TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a question that I hope someone can give me insight on. I recently had my rotors and brake pads replaced at a local shop. The braking of my prerunner is great now but I notice that when I brake a little more agressively say from 50mph my truck pulls to the left slightly. It never did this before until I had the rotors and pads replaced (yesterday). I noticed that on the passenger side rotor the rotor surface is darker than the left (brake dust/material?). Could it be that maybe the pad on the passenger side is just glazed and maybe to fix this prob, the rotor just needs to be sanded clean a bit as well as the pad? Also, I discovered when I got home after the brakes where worked on that the brake/master resevoir was topped with fluid and a little brake fluid leaked out from the cap. So it appears that the tech that did my brakes did not remove the resevoir cap and remove some of the fluid when he pushed the brake pistons back in to place the brakes (so he prob didnt bleed the system either as the resevoir was completely topped off). So my question. Could leaving the cap on the resevoir wehn pushing in the pistons somehow damage the master cylinder (seals and such?). Could the reason my truck is pulling to the left now be attributed to an air bubble in the brake system as the tech did not bleed the system a bit before pushing the pistons back in or could it just be a case of glazed pad. I'll be bringing my truck back to the shop tomorrow to have them fix this prob but wanted some insight before I go back in case they pull the "your caliper is broke" and needs to be replaced deal. Hopefully this wont be the case as they seemed pretty cool but I jsut want to be ready with knowledge just in case. Any insight is appreciated..

·
Registered
906 Posts
Pads break in at a different rate and slight glazes come and go. My prediction is that it will go away in a day or two.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
as nilson said - it may go away in a few days...

...if it doesn't - flush out your entire brake system with fresh fluid. One time my truck was pulling hard to the right when I'd brake, and I couldn't figure out why. I also had new rotors and pads - my tie rod ends were good, my steering was good, my master cylinder was good. I COULDN"T FIGURE IT OUT! Then, just for the hell of it, I flushed out my brake system with fresh fluid. When I was bleeding the system I noticed the drivers side was only pulling about 3 inHG, and the passenger was pulling like 14 inHG. A lot of dirty black fluid came out, both sides went up to pulling 14 inHG, and from then on it was good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the insight. I probably will hold off on going back to the shop and first see if the prob goes away. I will just let them know about for now. Hopefully this is the case and the pads just need to still be broken/bedded in. Thanks Sar, I'll try a brake flush if the prob doesnt go away. Sounds like you had the exact same prob I'm experiencing now..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
qwkfd
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing