TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at my 7 pin receiver today and I noticed that one of the pins is labeled reverse lights, this got me thinking.

I already have one flood light on the back of my trailer for camp setup, what if I wire it to a relay that is either switched on by the truck, or a switch. Should work right? I'll just have 2 pos leads coming into the switched part of the relay. Would either of them be hurt by getting 12 + volts from the "wrong side"...

Which got me thinking more, what if I were to tap into the reverse light wire for the backup lights in my bed. When I put it in reverse it would switch the relay and the bed lights would come on, on the same note if I wired it like the trailer relay, and had two + leads into the switched part of the relay when I hit the switch in the cab the bed lights and trailer backup light would come on...

Am I thinking correct, or all FUBAR?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
FUBAR? I know FUBR!
Sounds like your trying to set up a on/off/on switch. On with switch, off and on with backup relay? I've seen something about this on here before, but my CRS is kicking now.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FUBAR? I know FUBR!
Sounds like your trying to set up a on/off/on switch. On with switch, off and on with backup relay? I've seen something about this on here before, but my CRS is kicking now.
F'D UP BEYOND ALL REPAIR/

In the cab I would have 1 on/off/on, reverse/off/on... in the trailer I would have an on/off.. I want the trailer lights to come on in reverse as well, but w/out needing a 3-way switch... What I want is the on/off and the reverse light lead from the 7-pin to trigger the same connector, my question is what, if anything, will I damage having the trailer connected to the truck and turn the lights on with the switch, i.e. charging the reverse light wire in the 7-pin when not in reverse.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im looking at the wireing diagram for the reverse lights. i dont think its a problem, but ill keep looking .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts