TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Jeep Cherokee owner who is considering the purchase of a 99' Tacoma. I noticed a 1999 regular cab Tacoma on the used lot at the local Chrysler dealership, which is a very reputable dealership in a small town.

I haven't looked at the truck yet. But from the road, it definitely has the big tires, so it is likely a 4wd 2.7 L 5-speed. Could be the PreRunner regular cab, but I doubt it, as those seem pretty rare around here.

Can anyone answer these questions?:
1. Was the electric locking rear axle really available on the regular cab models in 1999? MSN Autos indicates that this was an option on the regular cab 4wd in 1999. If not, will the axle on this truck allow a factory locker to be installed? If you look the link below, it lists the locker as an option on the regular cab. I know that in more recent years Toyota has not offered the locker on the regular cab, except on the PreRunner.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_safety.aspx?modelid=2837&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=4

I'd really like to have the factory locker.

2. Are there any known issues with the 99's that I should look for?

3. Does anybody run a Detroit locker with a 5-speed? How does it handle? I've read that Detroits work better with auto's, because the disengagement of the locker around turns can be manipulated a little more with an automatic tranny.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
you cannot put in a factory trd elocker into that rear end. youll have to swap out the whole axle for one that already has the trd elocker installed. if you want a selectable locker just go for an ARB.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as I know, the e-locker was not offered in '99 as an option for standard cabs. If you really want factory just go to a salvage yard and see if you can find a TRD with an intact rear axle. If you do the swap, be sure you get a front diff with the same gear ratio!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
It's real easy to tell if it's got the locker.. on the rear diff if the drain plug is on the drivers side bottom of the pumpkin, it's a locker, if it on the passanger side it a non-locker.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The locker was an option but not available under the TRD package for the standard cab. I believe gadget had one in both his old and new truck. Some of the more common problems are the header (exhaust manifold) can crack pretty easily and also just the basic stuff. Depending on the milage things like water pump, timing chain/belt. I would definately crawl under it and look at the condition of the underside. It will tell how or if it was driven off road. Oh, the seats leave something to be desired to. Many people (myself too) replace the stock seats with something that has more lumbar support. Hope this helps

·
Registered
143 Posts
00Andy said:
As far as I know, the e-locker was not offered in '99 as an option for standard cabs. If you really want factory just go to a salvage yard and see if you can find a TRD with an intact rear axle. If you do the swap, be sure you get a front diff with the same gear ratio!

I think Nuke had one in his older Tacoma and it was a standard cab...you just had to special order it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts