TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 4.0L V6 Tacoma with 1,700 miles on it. I read somewhere on here that it is good to change the oil at this time because this is the time right after engine break in and all. Here are some questions I have though: since the truck sits pretty high can you get to all the areas you need to just by crawling under it? What kind of oil and how much of it should I use? And last what kind of oil filter should I use, thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just make sure you take the cap off from under the filter mount so the oil drains through it and not everywhere else. I run stock yota filters with Amsoil and it works well for me. The only crawling under the truck will be to crack the drain plug.

·
Registered
313 Posts
it comes with break in oil, dont change it AT LEAST untill 3k.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have owned over 5 brand new Toyotas since 1999. I have yet to do this, and not one has had problems. Put 100K+ on 4 of the 5. I think its a waste, but thats just my opinion. I do switch on the first change at 3K to Mobile 1 syn, and then change every 5K after that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
So what exactly is this type of oil? 'Cus I thought the same thing as the original poster, and I'm on my 3rd tacoma. The other two I did the first oil change at about 1k miles. My current taco has under 300 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
no need to change your oil at this time. wait at least until after you reach 3k miles. dont use synthetic oil, thats just a waste of money, IMHO. do a little research and you will understand what I mean.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The manual says to change the oil at 5k miles. You might as well do it at the dealer. I know its easy to do yourself but the dealer will do a full inspection plus put one of thier nifty Toyota stamps on your service manual. This is good if you end up selling it later. It can be pricey to get service at the dealer but if you can buy a 30k truck I'm sure you can aford it :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
3.4L said:
no need to change your oil at this time. wait at least until after you reach 3k miles. dont use synthetic oil, thats just a waste of money, IMHO. do a little research and you will understand what I mean.
Would you go 5K-7.5K on regular oil?

·
Registered
651 Posts
uhh i like 3k for dino oil. i notice that it already gets dark around 3000. i get better performance after oil change for some reason too.

·
Registered
947 Posts
trifenix said:
uhh i like 3k for dino oil. i notice that it already gets dark around 3000. i get better performance after oil change for some reason too.
Thats what im saying. Really, when you think about it, synthetic is not any more expensive. I can go 7500 on syn compared to 3K on dino. So, thats over twice as long, and its about twice as expensive. It all ='s out. Personal opinion from there foward. I figure if they use syn in the high rev race motors, it could not hurt... For my 4cyl, I think its the perfect matchup.

·
Registered
533 Posts
3.4L said:
dont use synthetic oil, thats just a waste of money, IMHO. do a little research and you will understand what I mean.

If you operate in the cold you will know there is big difference between synthetic oil and regular oil. Regular oil has the consistency of tar and synthetic pours like water at 30 below zero.

Buy a quart of regular and synthetic, put them in the freezer for a couple of days, then pull them out and see which one you want pumped through your cold motor.

And thats just one benefeit of synthetic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
So you know it comes with breakin oil, who told you that. Ask them what type of oil and why. This is a first for me on a late model vehicle and probably a bunch of bull shat.

·
Registered
533 Posts
TacoTRD said:
So you know it comes with breakin oil, who told you that. Ask them what type of oil and why. This is a first for me on a late model vehicle and probably a bunch of bull shat.
I don't know if they come with "break-in oil" or not. I do know that the factory filter that comes on the new truck is different. If you look inside the filter that came with the truck and the toyota replacement filter, you will see that there is a considerable difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My dealer told me to come in at 1000 mi for a free oil change and a general check.
Of course he said we offer this to get you in to see how good our services are, in the hopes that you come back in the future.
I doubt they would do that if its recomeded to leave in "break in" oil....
But Im curious to see what he says when I mention this theory of "break in" oil.. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
You sure about that? The dealer I bought my 05 from made it a point to remind me to come in for a free oil change at 1000 miles to get rid of early break in contaminents.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It sure won't hurt your vehicle to change the oil every 50 miles if you want to. However, with the economy tightening and improvements in dino lubricant technology over the past couple of decades, quality non-parafin-based motor oils can easily exceed even 5,000 miles of service barring "rough service" conditions. Some high mileage fleets do oil changes at 5k-7.5k and filters every other oil change with no significant maintenance cost increases.

The general state of tune and condition of rotational and pressurized engine parts have more to do with the useful life of lubricants than anything else. The older and more wear, the less the useful life. Unless dino oil is thick when hot, black, and/or contains particulate, there's no way to tell if it's exceeded it's useful life. The real way to determine it is with professional analysis.

Most who subscribe to the 3.5k oil change ditty also think that if 87 is good, 90+ is better. Off roading? It's an altogether different ballgame.

·
Registered
883 Posts
this all depends on how you drive. if your on the highway 90% of the time, your probably fine for 5,000. if your like me 50/50, i change it at 3000 no matter what oil, even if its mobil synthetic. i don't care how clean or dirty it is. i have always been told to change it at 3000 and my engines have ran forever(until i sell them) i sold my previous 4runner without it burning any oil at 16200 miles. it didn't leak or burn it, and i changed it every 3000. its the best thing you can do to the engine over anything.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts