TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and didn’t really find what I was looking for. I have asked a few different people and I have gotten a different answer evry time about what gears I should put in my truck. It’s a 96 4wd with a 4cyl and 32s. I have no planes in going up to 33s and I don’t wheel it all that much. It has no power at all in the high way and my 5th gear is totally useless. I have a set of 4:10s o got from a guy a while back that I can have but in. But I have been told that I should put 4:88s or 4:56s in the truck. I do a lot of high way driving and I am mostly interested in high way performance and gas millage more that any thing. So after looking at the gear chart im still not totally shore if the 4:10s I have are the best way to go. I need some hellp.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I did a few searches and didn’t really find what I was looking for. I have asked a few different people and I have gotten a different answer evry time about what gears I should put in my truck. It’s a 96 4wd with a 4cyl and 32s. I have no planes in going up to 33s and I don’t wheel it all that much. It has no power at all in the high way and my 5th gear is totally useless. I have a set of 4:10s o got from a guy a while back that I can have but in. But I have been told that I should put 4:88s or 4:56s in the truck. I do a lot of high way driving and I am mostly interested in high way performance and gas millage more that any thing. So after looking at the gear chart im still not totally shore if the 4:10s I have are the best way to go. I need some help.
either find a set of used 4.30s or go with 4.56s.
If you got the 4.10s for cheap and you have a 5sp they will be a lot better than the 3.58s that you now have. But...remember that used gears are harder to get set up correctly from what I've been told so it is sometimes more cost effective to just get new gears and save some $ on the labor charge for the regear.

If you have the AT then forget the 4.10s...go to 4.56s for 31/32" tires.
4.88s are overkill with the 5sp unless you have 33s and do a lot of wheeling on tough trails...then they are perfect ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
either find a set of used 4.30s or go with 4.56s.
If you got the 4.10s for cheap and you have a 5sp they will be a lot better than the 3.58s that you now have. But...remember that used gears are harder to get set up correctly from what I've been told so it is sometimes more cost effective to just get new gears and save some $ on the labor charge for the regear.

If you have the AT then forget the 4.10s...go to 4.56s for 31/32" tires.
4.88s are overkill with the 5sp unless you have 33s and do a lot of wheeling on tough trails...then they are perfect ;)
Its a 5sp and i allready have the 4:10s. I got them used over a year ago. I would have to talk to a shop here and see what thay think about puting used gears in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't go any lower than 4.56.
This is exactly the kind of response I hate getting from this board. I find it vary confusing I don’t know enough about gearing to understand why. I need a reason why not just a statement.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
This is exactly the kind of response I hate getting from this board. I find it vary confusing I don’t know enough about gearing to understand why. I need a reason why not just a statement.
You're welcome. :violin:

I have no planes in going up to 33s and I don’t wheel it all that much
This says that a 32 is the biggest tire you will run and that you don't need gearing that is lower than stock. Based on that, 4.56s will be the lowest ratio gear set you would want. 4.30s would also work, but 4.88s will be too much gear.

You can find more explanation and recommendations through a search.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're welcome. :violin:

This says that a 32 is the biggest tire you will run and that you don't need gearing that is lower than stock. Based on that, 4.56s will be the lowest ratio gear set you would want. 4.30s would also work, but 4.88s will be too much gear.

You can find more explanation and recommendations through a search.
Thanx that’s the kind of explanation im looking for. So going with 4:30s would be better then the 4:10s I have? I just looked on the door and I have 3:58s in the truck right now.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Thanx that’s the kind of explanation im looking for. So going with 4:30s would be better then the 4:10s I have? I just looked on the door and I have 3:58s in the truck right now.
4.30s are likely the best bet, but 4.10s would work as well.

If you know your stock tire size you can use this calculator to find the new ratio that works best.

http://www.tyres1.com/calculators.html

"Tire Size Change, find new differential ratio"

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The calculator doesn’t seem to work. I enter the new size 32 the old size 28.3 and the gear ratio. According to the ring and pinion part with 3:58s I have a 0.05 ratio. But when I enter all that info nothing comes up.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The calculator doesn’t seem to work. I enter the new size 32 the old size 28.3 and the gear ratio. According to the ring and pinion part with 3:58s I have a 0.05 ratio. But when I enter all that info nothing comes up.
New size: 32
Old size: 28.3
Old ratio: 3.58

Actual (effective) ratio: 3.17

New ratio: 4.05
Lo ratio: 4.41

Looks like 4.10s but 4.30s will be alright. You can find both sets used.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

3.58 equiped Tacos came with 225s or 28" tires.

stock tire size eventually went up to 235 and gearing went to 4.10.
Toyota kept the 4.10s but upped the tire size to 265s or 31" in the late 2nd generation and then came out with 4.30s for the 5sp in '00 that also got factory optional 265 size tires (stock was still 235). After '01 all 4x4s with 265s got 430s/5sp or 4.56s/AT.
This is why you'll get such conflicting information as there were so damn many tire/gear combos that came with the 2.7 over the 3 generations...5 different ratios for the 2.7, sheesh.

To get to current "stock" configuration, or achieve the "stock" performance ov your truck (3.58s/28") you would need to have 4.30s for 31" tires. Since you have 32s you could either stick with 4.30s or go to the next available ratio, or, 4.56. I would go to 4.56s which gives you a little better than "stock" gearing for the larger tires that are wider as well as taller than the OE 225s. The lower gearing will help compensate for the extra rolling resistance of the larger tire.

your RPMs @ 70 with 225s and 3.58s should have been in the 2400 range.
With 32s and 4.56s you'll be in the 2700 range. Mileage will actually improve overall (city/hwy) since the motor doesn't have to work nearly as hard to push the truck ;) with 4.30s RPMs will be in the 2600 range.

For a regear the main expense is labor. Parts will run, on average, around $600 for gears and install kits (you will need MASTER install kits for both front and rear). Labor from a competent gear shop (not just any ole mechanic, by the way, but a GEAR shop that has plenty of experience setting up TOYOTA gears) can run from $500 to over $1500 depending on your location and if you drop off just the diffs or the whole truck. If you were thinking of adding a locker, nows the time as there will not be much in the way of extra labor $ involved, if any, just the cost of the locker.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
yep yep, i like my 4.30s and 33's. I'd love some 4.56s, but for you either wwill be good with 32s.:driving:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
4.88's?

Hytenor,
I got a 97, toy, tac, 2.7, reg cab, 4x4, auto, currently running bfg 10.5x31, stock 4.10's, all standard rock crawler custom fabwork including cage recessed under shell, coilovers and deavers. I may do a future higher lift and 33's. years away.

Being the fact I got an auto do you think I can up/lower the gear ratio to 4.88,s? Especially since stock(now) is 4.56. I figure I might as well go a little more than just current stock gear ratios. Not a daily driver but will the highway be brutal? Any info greatly appreciated... :confused:

3.58 equiped Tacos came with 225s or 28" tires.

stock tire size eventually went up to 235 and gearing went to 4.10.
Toyota kept the 4.10s but upped the tire size to 265s or 31" in the late 2nd generation and then came out with 4.30s for the 5sp in '00 that also got factory optional 265 size tires (stock was still 235). After '01 all 4x4s with 265s got 430s/5sp or 4.56s/AT.
This is why you'll get such conflicting information as there were so damn many tire/gear combos that came with the 2.7 over the 3 generations...5 different ratios for the 2.7, sheesh.

To get to current "stock" configuration, or achieve the "stock" performance ov your truck (3.58s/28") you would need to have 4.30s for 31" tires. Since you have 32s you could either stick with 4.30s or go to the next available ratio, or, 4.56. I would go to 4.56s which gives you a little better than "stock" gearing for the larger tires that are wider as well as taller than the OE 225s. The lower gearing will help compensate for the extra rolling resistance of the larger tire.

your RPMs @ 70 with 225s and 3.58s should have been in the 2400 range.
With 32s and 4.56s you'll be in the 2700 range. Mileage will actually improve overall (city/hwy) since the motor doesn't have to work nearly as hard to push the truck ;) with 4.30s RPMs will be in the 2600 range.

For a regear the main expense is labor. Parts will run, on average, around $600 for gears and install kits (you will need MASTER install kits for both front and rear). Labor from a competent gear shop (not just any ole mechanic, by the way, but a GEAR shop that has plenty of experience setting up TOYOTA gears) can run from $500 to over $1500 depending on your location and if you drop off just the diffs or the whole truck. If you were thinking of adding a locker, nows the time as there will not be much in the way of extra labor $ involved, if any, just the cost of the locker.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Hytenor,
I got a 97, toy, tac, 2.7, reg cab, 4x4, auto, currently running bfg 10.5x31, stock 4.10's, all standard rock crawler custom fabwork including cage recessed under shell, coilovers and deavers. I may do a future higher lift and 33's. years away.

Being the fact I got an auto do you think I can up/lower the gear ratio to 4.88,s? Especially since stock(now) is 4.56. I figure I might as well go a little more than just current stock gear ratios. Not a daily driver but will the highway be brutal? Any info greatly appreciated... :confused:
4.56s will be perfect for 31" tires but 4.88s are kinda low for that size. If you do go to 33s you'll be better off with 5.29s with that AT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok cool. i cat turn down perfect! ill go with the 4.56 for now and change it again in 5 years when i re-do the lift tires and wheels,etc..
Thanks for the info

1 - 19 of 19 Posts