TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 tacoma sport extended cab. I put in a 6" fabtech lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels. It rides well, but unfortunately when I have the wheel turned all the way to the left or right, and I hit even a minor bump, it rubs the rear part of the inner fender. It seems I have trimmed as much of the fender as I can without going too crazy with it, has anyone else encountered this and know some reasonable solutions?

Secondly, I had to remove the front mudflaps and now when I tear down a unimproveed road, rocks get stuck in the meat and when I get back on the hardball and start going highway speeds, it violently launches these rocks into the side of the truck, and over time, will probably seriously damage the paint. Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions to stop this from happening? Someone told me to get steel body panels, but I didnt like the look from what it sounded like. How about that plastic adhesive that comes stock in front of the rear tires on the fenders? Will that stuff do the job if applied to the sides of the vehicle?

Any information from people that have dealt with these issues firsthand would greatly help. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have an 06 tacoma sport extended cab. I put in a 6" fabtech lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels. It rides well, but unfortunately when I have the wheel turned all the way to the left or right, and I hit even a minor bump, it rubs the rear part of the inner fender. It seems I have trimmed as much of the fender as I can without going too crazy with it, has anyone else encountered this and know some reasonable solutions?

Secondly, I had to remove the front mudflaps and now when I tear down a unimproveed road, rocks get stuck in the meat and when I get back on the hardball and start going highway speeds, it violently launches these rocks into the side of the truck, and over time, will probably seriously damage the paint. Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions to stop this from happening? Someone told me to get steel body panels, but I didnt like the look from what it sounded like. How about that plastic adhesive that comes stock in front of the rear tires on the fenders? Will that stuff do the job if applied to the sides of the vehicle?

Any information from people that have dealt with these issues firsthand would greatly help. Thank you.
For your fender problems I would look into getting Glassworks fiberglass fenders. With 35 inch tires you will grab everything on the road and throw it back at your truck. They are around $300-450 and will still need to be professionally painted to match.

As for rocks flying up when flying down a rocky road you either have to slow down or accept rock chips to paint and everywhere else on your truck.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I saw a thread here the other day while reading info, were someone trimed there finders back almost to the fire wall. They were able to keep there stock finder flairs. They had to move them and it was a PITA to reset with self tapping screws. I keep an eye out for you and give you a PM if I see it again.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Most shops that sell camper shells have a product called cab saver. It is a clear plastic film that sticks to the painted surface. It's pretty tough stuff. maybe you can order it in sheet form and apply it to the bottom of the fenders and bed side. The tire is hitting the fender, not the body mount? I am running 33's and had to trim the fender also, but my body mount is the real prob.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to inspect closer where it is rubbing. From what I gather, It rubs on metal, the frame im thinking, just slightly. Also, for whatever reason, I was driving to work today, and this yellow ! in the dash started blinking. Im not really sure what it means, but I'll find out later today when I get all the bolts retorqued

Being the newbie that I am, im not sure what exactly the body mount is you speak of, but i'll try to use some common sense when I look at it later today. Its basically rubbing on a flat piece of metal Im assuming to be the frame on the rear part of the fender. The place I got the tires at says I have a month to decide how I like the 35's and can switch them to 33's if need be. Im just not certain it will look right with the 33's.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far everyone, I'll take a look at the cab saver tape and the glassworks fenders and see what I can do.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Bravo, look in the wheel well, behind the tire. You will see a mount that is welded to the frame and bolted to the cab. This is the front body mount. Look closely, you will probably see a rub mark from the tire. Turn the wheel all the way to lock and shut the truck off, then get out and look at where the tire would hit the mount. You will see a small amount of space between the tire and the mount. When the suspension is loaded, that space is no longer available, so the tire rubs. Any competent fab shop can modify that mount for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Here is what it will look like when modified. Never worry about a little :saw:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweeeet thanks for the info. Ill post pics soon!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nice job 06. I still have to mod my body mount some time this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts