TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I just received my 3" cornfed spacer lift, and 3" procomp rear AAL's and well the instructions are less than great. No where does it say any torque specs on like the bolts holding the spring assembly on the truck, nor does it give torque specs on the main bolt holding the spring assembly together. It also doesn't give torque specs for the rear U bolts for the AAL. Do torque specs depend on the bolt size(diamater) or the application? I tried to call cornfed but no answer. You guys have any idea on these torque specs, or some tricks to installing this lift? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Torque specs would be per Toyota specs. Gotta manual? Off the top of my head:

U bolts - 90 lbs
Spring centering bolt 33 lbs
Rear shocks 56 lbs

Top bolts coilovers 46 lbs(?)
Bottom bolt 105 lbs.

I might be off a lb ot two but these should be close.

·
Registered
114 Posts
bb609 said:

U bolts - 90 lbs
Rear shocks 56 lbs

Bottom bolt 105 lbs.

Forgive me for jumping in... How important is torque on all these parts??? Just cutious as I have worked with tools since I was a kid and I've never torqued any bolt. Not to be braggin' about it or anything but I've never broken any bolts and never had any parts fall off going down the road.

I'm asking only because I do not know. If anyone can explain any pros/cons to torque your bolts and what really determines the amount of torque is needed? Thanks for any responses. Have a good Holiday!

J

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
For me, it's all about peace of mind and good wrenching. Overtorquing stresses the bolt and the parts it is connecting with. Undertorquing causes things to loosen up and fall off. Have you ever replaced a warped rotor?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The best thing to do is ask david!...i think that would be the most realible info since he did make the spacers....i sure he'll be more than willing to hlep you out...
M3Man02 said:
Hey guys, well I just received my 3" cornfed spacer lift, and 3" procomp rear AAL's and well the instructions are less than great. No where does it say any torque specs on like the bolts holding the spring assembly on the truck, nor does it give torque specs on the main bolt holding the spring assembly together. It also doesn't give torque specs for the rear U bolts for the AAL. Do torque specs depend on the bolt size(diamater) or the application? I tried to call cornfed but no answer. You guys have any idea on these torque specs, or some tricks to installing this lift? Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
bb609 said:
For me, it's all about peace of mind and good wrenching. Overtorquing stresses the bolt and the parts it is connecting with. Undertorquing causes things to loosen up and fall off. Have you ever replaced a warped rotor?
Over torqueing a lug nut is a lot different than over-torqueing a rear shock (per say).
There are times when torqueing is good and other times where its not needed. Knowing the difference - is the key.
And yes, I torque all my lug nuts to 100ft lbs for years without any issues.

U bolts - 90 lbs
Rear shocks 56 lbs

Bottom bolt 105 lbs.
Where did these torque specs come from??
If they came from the factory specs - that's fine and dandy for street usage and a daily driver.......
But if you're going offroad - and if you wheel often - these things are gonna come loose really easily and quickly!! I've seen it happen.....especially on centering pins and u-bolts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
your a very through person, i dont think anyone uses torque specs on their spacer lifts (that i know of) but i have to say im impressed. if corfed wont help you just email Toytec Lifts (best customer service) and talk to chris at [email protected] . i just got one of their spacer lifts and they rule, im sure they can give you any specs you need. good luck
-darren

·
Registered
279 Posts
bb609 said:

U bolts - 90 lbs
Rear shocks 56 lbs

Bottom bolt 105 lbs.

I'm with you on this one. It's much better to use the torque specs than to be snapping lug nuts and other nuts/bolts from overtightening.

Jandy brings up a good point about things coming loose, but routine maintenance and common sense says check certain things that could be dangerous if they become loose like ball joints for example.

Better safe than sorry! and yes, I have warped a rotor or two in the past!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'm with you on regular maintenance. It amazes me that some folks think they are smarter than Toyota's engineers....on this point anyways. I don't torque everything on my truck but on some things it just makes good sense to do by the book.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes I have broken enough bolts, striped enough bolts, and generally caused damage (mostly to dirtbikes in the teen years) in my time to understand the importance of proper torqueing to spec. Also being a motorcyclist you can never be too safe and if the engineers say this is the spec, there is a reason.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have not ever replaced a warped rotor on any of my cars. I replaced rotors before but, never on a car that I drove. I do agree however that there are some things that it would make sense to torque. Thanks

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts