TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just got some brand new bilstein 5100s off ebay for $170 in 8" and 8.5" travel.... i was wondering which one went on which side??? also they came with 2 small tubes and i dont know what they are for? also i know for 5150s you have to do a bushing mod and i was wondering if you had to do the same for the 5100s? one more stupid question.... the boot goes on the bottom right? i am also wondering if anyone has a writeup on the installation or any feedback on it...

·
Registered
208 Posts
cauch235 said:
i just got some brand new bilstein 5100s off ebay for $170 in 8" and 8.5" travel.... i was wondering which one went on which side??? also they came with 2 small tubes and i dont know what they are for? also i know for 5150s you have to do a bushing mod and i was wondering if you had to do the same for the 5100s? one more stupid question.... the boot goes on the bottom right?
PART # 5-BE5-6252-H5 REAR LEFT, 5-BE5-6253-H5 REAR RIGHT
don't worry about the tubes you don't need them. you need to replace the original bushings with 3/4in. hour glass bushings. bilsteins can be mounted either way. i mounted mine with the boots down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the 3/4 in hour glass bushings you are talking about? where do i get them?

·
Registered
208 Posts
cauch235 said:
what are the 3/4 in hour glass bushings you are talking about? where do i get them?
you need to replace the shock mount bushings with a 3/4in. hour glass bushings. call demello, camburg, wheelers offroad, etc. when you buy 5100's from them they usually include the bushings, mine are from prothane but i can't remember the part no. right now, i have to look it up when i get home.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
cauch235 said:
Energy Suspension part number 9.8108. They can be bought anywhere that sells Energy bushings. DeMello Offroad, Wheelers, Summit, Kartek, Jegs, Central 4WD, 4 Wheel Parts, etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So am I to assume that the 5100's are not on backorder anymore or is that jumping the gun?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got really lucky and found them on ebay!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stupid question, can you put 5100s on a stock truck? No lift. Are they stiffer than the Bilstein HDs or softer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Owyhee said:
Stupid question, can you put 5100s on a stock truck? No lift. Are they stiffer than the Bilstein HDs or softer?
I'll add a few more stupid questions about the HD's & elusive 5100's while we're on the subject.

Just put D'hoes & Deaver 7-leaf pack on this weekend and thought I'd be OK using my HD's for the rear until the 5100's might get here. Go to put them on and with the added lift, are basically at max extension, or close to it, with the truck sitting still. When driving and going over bigger dips & bumps, I'm pretty sure I can feel the rear end dropping down & maxing out the shock travel.

1. Are the HD's just not capable of enough extension to use with added lift of the Deaver 7-leaf pack or am I seeing something wierd here? I had been told they would be OK to use with the lift. Perhaps the Deavers take some time to "settle down" to their final lift amt.?

2. How much more extension are the 5100's capable of than the HD's? I think I remember seeing that they are supposed to give 1" of additional travel to the suspension over stock. I would assume this extra travel is due to additional max extension on the shocks, allowing the rear end to drop farthur down before the shock travel limits it?

3. What would be the next closest thing to the 5100 that Bilstein offers that I could upgrade to to solve my problem? I don't think I can drive around with it this way until whenever 5100's might become avaliable. What are the actual differences compared to the 5100? Will it ride differently than w/ 5100's?

Thanks for any input, everyone. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but figured might was well ask here than start a redundant thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts