TTORA Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions from a New Taco Owner

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  BigBadBob0 
#1 ·
First time Tacoma owner ... received my '05 4dr TRD O/R PreRunner (Indigo Blue) two weeks ago tonight.

I absolutely love the truck, but I'm wondering if there is any way to change the color of the instrument lights? I'd love to have them in bright blue rather than the bright orange ... feel like I'm staring at a Pontiac instrument panel! LOL!

Just wondering ...

Also, can anyone suggest a decent pair of step rails ... would prefer them in chrome or stainless.

Thanks!

#2 ·
007dawg said:
First time Tacoma owner ... received my '05 4dr TRD O/R PreRunner (Indigo Blue) two weeks ago tonight.

I absolutely love the truck, but I'm wondering if there is any way to change the color of the instrument lights? I'd love to have them in bright blue rather than the bright orange ... feel like I'm staring at a Pontiac instrument panel! LOL!

Just wondering ...

Also, can anyone suggest a decent pair of step rails ... would prefer them in chrome or stainless.

Thanks!
you're gonna get some shit for the step rails...as for the instrument panel basically it's taking the dash apart and replacing the bulbs...here's a tutorial for the older tacos. don't know if this helps
http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=110&c=6

#7 ·
Rods05Taco said:
What's wrong with tube steps on a pre-runner? It's not like the pre-runner isn't as tall as the 4X4.
This board is about functionality, not bling. This is an off roading board, nerf bars dent and don't offer any real protection. Most people here (well, the ones that didn't come from Spike TV) would recommend sliders. They can be made out of stainless steel, and you can add pads or nonskid tape or something if you are concerned about slipping.

#9 ·
Oppositeboy said:
This board is about functionality, not bling. This is an off roading board, nerf bars dent and don't offer any real protection. Most people here (well, the ones that didn't come from Spike TV) would recommend sliders. They can be made out of stainless steel, and you can add pads or nonskid tape or something if you are concerned about slipping.
I don't think tube steps are about bling, they make it easier for the ladies to get up into your truck. Having sliders on a two wheel drive truck is kinda funny IMO but to each his own. Again tube steps are functional on a truck that's not an offroad warrior :)

#10 ·
You're right. Chrome isn't bling. I've ran trails in 2 wheel drive and used my sliders on rocks and I know plenty of prerunner people that have used their sliders on trails.

But you're right. Sliders are funny on prerunners because they add protection and can be used as a step. Fawk the protection and just give me a step. :rolleyes:

Am I on Custom Tacos or something? Excuse me for preserving the theme of this message board. :banghead:

Edit - Sliders can also protect your truck from car doors in mall parking lots better than nerf bars. Is that a little better?

#11 ·
I think one of the themes about this message board is being open minded and I'm sure any moderator or webmaster would agree ;) I hear you, this is an offroad message board but it also addresses many more issue's than just the common offroader.

#12 ·
Rods05Taco said:
I think one of the themes about this message board is being open minded and I'm sure any moderator or webmaster would agree ;) I hear you, this is an offroad message board but it also addresses many more issue's than just the common offroader.
<jerk>

Land Use
Find out what's going on around the country about land usage and what areas are in danger of being closed.

Tech
Find the tech info you are looking for in our forums below!

Sponsors Section
Sponsors are the only ones allowed to start threads in this section to sale and promote their products only!

Monthly Give-A-Ways
Contributing Members get free stuff!

Axle Swap Tech
All the information you need to know about solid axle conversions!

Events
There is always some wheelin goin on!

Classifieds
Like one big ol' 4x4 Garage Sale below!

Miscellaneous
Check out what else is happening!

Nope... nothing about us being open minded in any of the descriptions or stickies. Go to Custom Tacos and ask them if one of the themes of this board is being open minded. Silly me, I don't know any of the dynamics of the board, I've only been affiliated with it for 4 or 5 years... you're right.
</jerk>

Yes, this site offers a lot of technical knowledge for people that do not off road their truck, but that is not the theme of this board. If you want to post about non-functional mods or mods that do not necessarily help out on the trails, check out CT. They have a lot of good info there.

#13 ·
Wow I'm impressed, you speak with such intelligence. I wonder what Shannon would think of you running off potential club members. You can act in whatever way you wish but I've had several great conversations with other members on this site. I may be new but if you’re trying to speak for this website you’re not doing a very good job. If this site wants to be the best site regarding Toyotas and off roading on the web then they shouldn't have people like you speaking for them ;)

#14 ·
Rods05Taco said:
Wow I'm impressed, you speak with such intelligence. I wonder what Shannon would think of you running off potential club members. You can act in whatever way you wish but I've had several great conversations with other members on this site. I may be new but if you’re trying to speak for this website you’re not doing a very good job. If this site wants to be the best site regarding Toyotas and off roading on the web then they shouldn't have people like you speaking for them ;)
Uhh ohh you know shannon by name, now we are all skared... must have heard it on SPIKE TV.

#15 ·
You are right, I didn't mean to infer that I was speaking for Shannon or this message board. He can speak for himself. That was what I have gathered in the few years that I have been here.

How am I running off potential members? Have I told you to leave? Have I called you names or told you to f**k off? I am very happy that you've had several great conversations with people here. There are a lot of great people here.

If you are offended at what I have to say, then maybe you should ignore me or not ask questions if you can't handle the response. Remember, this started when you asked "What's wrong with tube steps on a pre-runner? It's not like the pre-runner isn't as tall as the 4X4." Well, duh, it's not about height or ground clearance, it's about functionality. Do a search, you will find people posting the same thing I did, only in a way that you would consider mean, rude, or trying to run potential members away.

If this site wants to be at least somewhat elite in it's knowledgebase, then they don't need people like you asking ignorant questions or making ignorant statements.

#16 ·
Oppositeboy said:
You are right, I didn't mean to infer that I was speaking for Shannon or this message board. He can speak for himself. That was what I have gathered in the few years that I have been here.

How am I running off potential members? Have I told you to leave? Have I called you names or told you to f**k off? I am very happy that you've had several great conversations with people here. There are a lot of great people here.

If you are offended at what I have to say, then maybe you should ignore me or not ask questions if you can't handle the response. Remember, this started when you asked "What's wrong with tube steps on a pre-runner? It's not like the pre-runner isn't as tall as the 4X4." Well, duh, it's not about height or ground clearance, it's about functionality. Do a search, you will find people posting the same thing I did, only in a way that you would consider mean, rude, or trying to run potential members away.

If this site wants to be at least somewhat elite in it's knowledgebase, then they don't need people like you asking ignorant questions or making ignorant statements.
I'm not offended with your statements, although you communicate in a manner that is rude and condescending, that’s not how you get new members. I've been a moderator on other forums and I would never speak to someone in the manner you have to me. If that's what this site condones than maybe I'm on the wrong site.

If you look at the original statement that was posted here, he wasn’t asking what would be the best tube steps to use for off roading. He just wanted something nice for his new Taco and I’m not surprised he hasn’t replied.

You should go back and read your own statements and see who sounds ignorant.

#17 ·
My new 04' SR5 TRD Xcab came with chrome step bars. They look o.k. I guess, but as far as funtionality, for me they are more of a burden & just get in the way. I have to step further away from the truck to get in & out. I've tried using them as a "step bar" but when you actually step on them, your up so high you need to duck your head just to get in the truck. Even my wife says there mounted too high. Sliders will go on later, but for now, the bling that came with my rig will stay on.

#18 ·
Rods05Taco said:
I'm not offended with your statements, although you communicate in a manner that is rude and condescending, that’s not how you get new members. I've been a moderator on other forums and I would never speak to someone in the manner you have to me. If that's what this site condones than maybe I'm on the wrong site.

If you look at the original statement that was posted here, he wasn’t asking what would be the best tube steps to use for off roading. He just wanted something nice for his new Taco and I’m not surprised he hasn’t replied.

You should go back and read your own statements and see who sounds ignorant.

Let's see... I got sarcastic after you mentioned something that didn't go with the theme of this board. Much like a lot of the newer people that just don't get it. You continued it, so i continued to be sarcastic. My first comments were neither rude nor condescending. IMO, you aren't fit to be a moderator at other boards if you are that thin skinned or automatically assume that a post that may have questionable undertones is completely negative.

007dawg asked, "Also, can anyone suggest a decent pair of step rails ... would prefer them in chrome or stainless."

My response to that was, "Most people here (well, the ones that didn't come from Spike TV) would recommend sliders. They can be made out of stainless steel, and you can add pads or nonskid tape or something if you are concerned about slipping."

Please tell me why that answer does not belong in this post? The first part of that post was to explain what you didn't understand. That was not rude or condescending. You assumed it was and took it one step further. If you are too sensitive for some sarcasm, maybe this isn't the place for you. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.