TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all first post, Thanks for the help Shannon! Anyway I am in the market for a new truck most likley a small truck again. I had the chance to look at a 2005 Tacoma last week and really liked it. But there are a few things I had some questions on.
1. I am not a big fan of "electronic 4wd" I know I have no choice if I buy the Taco. I read a problem in the new issue of 4 wheeler. How good is elecronic vs. the good old lever systems? Are they as strong? Do they operate the same?
2. The only thing I do not like about the Taco on my first look thru was that stereo system. Why take up the whole dash? Is this to keep from putting in after market equipment? I really want to add a satillite system to my next truck. Is this possible with the new stereo?
3. The recepticle in the bed is an awesome idea! What can it power? will it run power tools? Does the truck have to run to make use of it?
4. The hood scoop, is it functional or is it for looks?
5. Probobaly an old question but, why 1 tow hook? Can you add more?
6. For anyone with a 2005 ext.cab, is there more room in the back for passengers?
7.Any good dealers in the southern Ohio/WV. area?
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. The electronic-selected 4Hi has proven pretty reliable in 2001-2004 Tacomas and 4Runners. The electronic-selected 4Lo has also proven to be reliable in the Tundra nad the newer 4Runners.
2. Why? who knows, its the new trend in all vehicles, cheesy silver dashes. I doubt it is made specifiacally to keep people from adding an aftermarket system. Someone will make a kit for it, just give it time. As for the sat. radio, you can add it to jsut about any OEM stereo.
3. A blender! I'm sure it runs some tools decent, but I wouldn't expect you to run some serious stuff (welder for instance, but who knows)
4. For looks
5. No idea, sure, weld on another.
6. Yes, more room, the whole vehicle is bigger inside than previous models.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I love my 05 access cab. Have not used the power outlet yet but i think I will try it now. Roomy but not for big guys. The shrimpsfit in it good. The extra doors are great just for the fact you can put more stuff in and a bit easyer than goin over the seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Extra tow hook is easy. It'll mount up directly opposite of the other ; there's actually already 2 bolts there holding the skid I think. One hook is a standard for "basic" winching of a vehicle. A pullout from a tow truck will only require one winch point 99% of the time. Serious off-road is a different story.
The power outlet should handle the average hand drill, small tv, light duty air compressor, etc. Don't try a welder! Many older homes don't even have adeqate updated electric for that. Welder's are big time power.
The rear is a bit more roomier but not for an average adult. Great for teenagers and groceries. And the rear opening doors you'll never want to live with again, if you had a non-opening x-cab before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I always wondered why Toyota went with 1 tow hook. I guess Tacos dont get stuck much! I work as a paramedic, we had our squad get stuck in some mud in someones front yard once. Powerstrokes ar not worth a crap in getting themsevles out of anything unless you have 4wd. A local VFD member pulled us out with a 4 cylinder 4WD Tacoma! This made me a believer of these trucks.
As far as the plug, no welders for me. I would hope it could power a drill or saw or something of that nature. I have a growing 12 year old that may ride in the back everynow and then. I will make sure to take her along when I check out the ext. cabs.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
1) The electronic 4wd works on engine vacume and works pretty good. The model 4 wheeler magazine tested was a pre-production and the kinks were most likely not all worked out.
2) I'm not sure about the satilite thing.
3)The outlet in the bed will power a drill but not much more. The outlet will shut off if it is overloaded, and you have to press the button in the truck to reset it. It supplies 400 watts when the truck is parked and on, and 100 watts when your driving. I used it for my ARB freezer fridge and it worked fine. I tried a shop vac and the vacum proved to be just a little to much for it.
4) Hoodscoop is just for looks.
5) Compared to the last generation taco there is a lot more room on the ext. cab, but the seats are still just jump seats and won't be very comfortable for long distances.
6) Don't know of any dealers in Ohio, but whoever you go with try for 6% off the MSRP.
that's what I got up here in Canada. Good Luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts