TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 3rz for an engine conversion on my 84 yota. The guy I bought the engine from said it is a 98(but there was no way for me to be sure of that). It is a twin coil pack motor. Is there any # on the motor that will help me verify the year? I was unable to get an ECU w/the motor and now I need one. I found a 98 5speed 2.7 ecu on car-part local but before I drop the money I want to make sure it will work? Please help me out, I know there are some experts on here. Thanks-

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quick??

Is there such thing as a quick ECU question?
I don't know if you can match engine numbers to years. Even at the dealer I don't remember ever being able to look up engine numbers. 98 sounds about right for dual coil packs though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed on car-part there was an ecu for late 97-98 and another for 99 early 2000, I didnt know if all the twin coil 3rz ecu's will run it or not?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You could have a real mess on your hands.

Every year or two Toyota changed the ECU boxes, ECU plug configuration and pinouts, and wire color codes. You do not want to plug a wrong year ECU into the harness or you could smoke it.

I take it you can not find a part number anywhere on the harness??

If not, take a picture of the fronts of all the ECU plugs together and I will do what I can to help you figure this out. Once I have a picture of all the plugs together I can narrow down what years it could be, then we can start checking different plug pin numbers and comparing wire color codes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gadget said:
You could have a real mess on your hands.

Every year or two Toyota changed the ECU boxes, ECU plug configuration and pinouts, and wire color codes. You do not want to plug a wrong year ECU into the harness or you could smoke it.

I take it you can not find a part number anywhere on the harness??

If not, take a picture of the fronts of all the ECU plugs together and I will do what I can to help you figure this out. Once I have a picture of all the plugs together I can narrow down what years it could be, then we can start checking different plug pin numbers and comparing wire color codes.

It wont let me attach any more photos, said mine is full w/only 2 pics?. So if it plugs in it will work? I have not looked at the harness yet to see if there were any tags on it or not. I will check that, thanks alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts