TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on the listed compressor set-ups. I want it for airing up 8 - 33's quickly without a tank. If you know where to get the best price, that would be nice as well. Thanks.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
Looking for opinions on the listed compressor set-ups. I want it for airing up 8 - 33's quickly without a tank. If you know where to get the best price, that would be nice as well. Thanks.
I was looking at the Viair 450Cs off ebay for around $200 but wound up with a C02 tank instead. figure out how much space you have to work with under the hood and get the largest one you can stuff in there. for me it was the 450c. Viair's site has all the specs for you.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/CO2 tank,bracket/
 

·
Keyser Soze
Joined
·
546 Posts
Take a look at the duty cycles on the compressors listed and I bet that helps you make up your mind. I murdered two Quick Air II's before switching to my ViAir 550C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
SteveO said:
Looking for opinions on the listed compressor set-ups. I want it for airing up 8 - 33's quickly without a tank. If you know where to get the best price, that would be nice as well. Thanks.
puma sales has one for $189 thats comparable to the quickair2
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
grumpy said:
puma sales has one for $189 thats comparable to the quickair2
the QA 2 is about the same as the ARB that he already has.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
hytenor said:
the QA 2 is about the same as the ARB that he already has.
didn't know he had a arb. my qa2 is faster then the arb.

also the puma slaes ones are 100% duty cycle. when my qa2 dies I'll be getting on from puma sales
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hytenor said:
I was looking at the Viair 450Cs off ebay for around $200 but wound up with a C02 tank instead. figure out how much space you have to work with under the hood and get the largest one you can stuff in there. for me it was the 450c. Viair's site has all the specs for you.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/CO2 tank,bracket/

I have a CO2 tank but I want to have a system that's with me 100% of the time and the tank won't be. I've used the ARB a couple times and it's not too bad but I don't want to burn it out. I think I have a line on a Viair 450 so I may go that route instead. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WATRD said:
Take a look at the duty cycles on the compressors listed and I bet that helps you make up your mind. I murdered two Quick Air II's before switching to my ViAir 550C.
Good point, I do want one with a 100% duty rating and it looks like the Viair 450 is the one for me. Do you run a tank with yours? ...Steve
 

·
Keyser Soze
Joined
·
546 Posts
SteveO said:
Good point, I do want one with a 100% duty rating and it looks like the Viair 450 is the one for me. Do you run a tank with yours? ...Steve
I have the 550C, but the 450C's seem to work well for the folks who have them around here.

I have a 2.5 gallon tank attached to mine, but I don't know if I would bother for the use you have described.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Would a compressor with a 33% duty cycle rating be good enough for the occasional air up of some 32's?

I am looking to just get a portable compressor, just something to hook up to the battery air up and go.
 

·
Keyser Soze
Joined
·
546 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Would a compressor with a 33% duty cycle rating be good enough for the occasional air up of some 32's?

I am looking to just get a portable compressor, just something to hook up to the battery air up and go.
Here's some commonly used numbers for translating duty cycle into run time;

Duty Cycle @ 100PSI & 72 ° F
Minutes On / Minutes Off

10% 3 Min. On / 27 Min. Off or 4 Min. On / 36 Min. Off
15% 4 Min. On / 22 Min. Off or 6 Min. On / 34 Min. Off
20% 6 Min. On / 24 Min. Off or 8 Min. On / 32 Min. Off
25% 8 Min. On / 24 Min. Off or 10 Min. On / 30 Min. Off
30% 10 Min. On / 23 Min. Off or 13 Min. On / 30 Min. Off
33% 12 Min. On / 25 Min. Off or 15 Min. On / 30 Min. Off
100% Continuous Duty @ 100PSI & 72 Degrees F

A 33% unit should be okay for filling one set of 32's, but if you have a buddy waiting, you are going to need to have them wait for half an hour or so before they can begin filling their tires.

For comparison, the ARB compressor has a 15% duty cycle and the QuickAirII is something like 25%.

I always seem to have others waiting for my air when I am done, so a 100% unit was just the ticket for me.
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Rob, I just emailed you
How do you have the Viar 550c mounted?
is it just it the toolbox?
great website and info
 

·
Keyser Soze
Joined
·
546 Posts
And I mailed you back.

The 550C is mounted in a portable toolbox, then that box is set into my bed toolbox. The reason I did that was to be able to have the compressor "hard mounted" with all the benefits that come with that, but I have had experiences in the past when I needed to be able to move my compressor away from the truck. I can disconnect the air line and power cord, lift the tool box out of the bedbox, plug in a pigtail that has a pair of aligator clips on the other end and carry it to another rig.

You can see a picture of it here; http://www.watrd.com/mods/images/viair.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
DC5000 is the best

If you want a good compressor, not alot of money. The DC5000 is the one I have and is the smame one Grumpy is telling you about from puma. Its made in Phx at a company called AIM Industry's. It only uses 18 amps and pushes more CFM compared to Viaair and Quickair. I have wrote up a chart that compares every aspect, and you can't beat the DC5000. I have used if for over 6 months, works perfect. Shane on the AZ board actually got the first one, and I was told to get it. I can air up my 32's in about 8-10 mins. And its Duty Free. I am hooking it up and installed my ARB next week. Putting a 3 gallon tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
grumpy said:
puma sales has one for $189 thats comparable to the quickair2
Just read about the PUMA on Pirate, sounds pretty good and cheap too. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Blacksheep said:
If you want a good compressor, not alot of money. The DC5000 is the one I have and is the smame one Grumpy is telling you about from puma. Its made in Phx at a company called AIM Industry's. It only uses 18 amps and pushes more CFM compared to Viaair and Quickair. I have wrote up a chart that compares every aspect, and you can't beat the DC5000. I have used if for over 6 months, works perfect. Shane on the AZ board actually got the first one, and I was told to get it. I can air up my 32's in about 8-10 mins. And its Duty Free. I am hooking it up and installed my ARB next week. Putting a 3 gallon tank.
Are there any specs on this DC5000, like CFM, etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought a Viair 450C for $190. Seems like a good deal to me and the guy selling them has been very helpful with my shipping requests. (stupid customs bastards :( ) Good compressor deal
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top