TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing a Roger Brown 4 crawler body lift, and have all 6 cab bolts loose, the steering shaft, gas filler and both bumpers. There are 4 actual cab bolts, Two in the front floor pans of the cab and two behind the rear seats. all six bolts are loose (Two bolts behind the front bumper) (double cab)
I tried to lift the body off of the frame to put in the pucks and it will not budge. There are two 15 mm bolts on the body mount brackets for each of the four cab body mounts. I have searched and read installation instrucions and have found nothing on taking these bolts loose. These are the only things I can see that may possibly hold the body to the frame, Are they connected to some type of plate on the top of the body mount? Am I missing something, or is the body just stuck in the mounts, and I need to use more lifting force? I heard that it should just lift up very easily...Can someone with experience help me out real quick...Thanks

Please spare me the :2cents: and flaming on "why would someone even think of putting a body lift on a truck" I have read and understand all the pros ,cons, and opinions......

By the way, the santa is on the title because I got the body lift for a christmas present and just now trying to install it....

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
yo got the two bolts under the radiator core support correct? the ones "behind the front bumper"?

You also loosened up your transmission linkage? should not hold you up, but a good idea to disconnect.

how are you trying to lift the body off the frame? Best way to do it is get a 3-4' length of 4x4 lay it along below the rocker panal on top of a floor jack and raise. You might hear some popping as the body releases from the frame but it should lift off the body. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I got the ones for the core supports. I was really expecting this thing to lift up real easy, I tried a piece of 4x4, and it took a lot of force, like trying to lift the whole truck up kind of force, and it did not appear to be letting go. From what I read everywhere there were only six bolts holding the cab to the frame, gonna try again after lunch..Thanks for your fast reply..
Jason

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
it is quite unnerving, but a pop or two is heard when doing a body lift.

and no I am not condoning body lifts, just have done quite a few in my day.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What about steering? You have to unbolt the rag joint right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I got it now, the popping was scary.......:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
yup! two under the core support, two under the front dash area and two under the back corners of the cab.

Take the nuts completely off the bolts, the cab will not shft much if any with just the bolts in place. But you do need a lot of "play" on the opposite side bolts when lifting one side.

The double cabs are a lot heavier than you would think . Just try to make sure and lift the entire side up evenely, thus using a 4x4 when lifting.

But when you get to the bed, I normally hold the bed up with one shoulder while placing the puck in place…the bed is light in comparision to the cab.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Thanks I got it now, the popping was scary.......:eek:
Just take it slow and easy. don't go up more than you really have to. I have never seen a cab slide completely off the frame…yet.

But if it does slide a little you can correct it's placement. it is just a pain in the ass!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts