TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I was hanging out in the garage today and decided to fab a few wing nuts! All I had to do was take off the sway bar, chase the bolts with a dye, and then weld the nuts. It took all of 30 minutes to do....any takers? ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Cool mod, well done!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
looks nice

good fab work.

·
Registered
718 Posts
nice, do they hit anything when you are driving?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awesome, I like the simplicity of the design! What kind of improvements are you achieving? and the most important question, how much are you going to mass produce these for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How well do they work? What did you weld them w/?
I used a Lincoln Mig Pak 10 with .30 wire on gas. I would have changed the machine to .23 wire if I was building more than one set that day. If I had an order, I'd paint them black. :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
seriously, if you decide to fab a few more sets of these, put me in line. I'll buy one set from you.

I support the small business retailer:D

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
the only thing i can recomend is to make the nut a lock nut

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
your kidding right? You use a nylon one and it would melt - you use a metal lock and turning it by hand would be real difficult.

I say ditch the the bar - total PITA IMHO. Not to metion what do you do with the bar once it's disconnected, stuff it up tie it off - great then it rubs the brake line. I tried for a long time to keep mine, finally got tired of the hassle.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
your kidding right? You use a nylon one and it would melt - you use a metal lock and turning it by hand would be real difficult.

I say ditch the the bar - total PITA IMHO. Not to metion what do you do with the bar once it's disconnected, stuff it up tie it off - great then it rubs the brake line. I tried for a long time to keep mine, finally got tired of the hassle.
nah id want something there, at least a lock washer

but yea just lose the swaybar altogether

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
yea lock washer would work as long as it wasn't real strong and a good idea if a guys gona keep that junk :D

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
They make lock nuts without the nylon insert, typically called a "D" nut. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nah id want something there, at least a lock washer

but yea just lose the swaybar altogether
A lock washer might be a good idea, but I agree that a "D nut" might be too difficult to remove even with a large wing nut such as this.

yea lock washer would work as long as it wasn't real strong and a good idea if a guys gona keep that junk :D
I agree and I think "that junk" is a good idea while on the pavement to and from the trail. Might help keep you and everyone else alive. :)

They make lock nuts without the nylon insert, typically called a "D" nut. :2cents:
Yes such as the metal lock nuts mentioned above, but thanks for the technical term. :)

What about the bottom as it is still connected?

Most quick discos remove the entire end link top and bottom.

:welder:
On the truck that I was working on it seemed pretty easy to zip tie the lower like out of the way and it did not interfere with the suspension travel.

I appreciate all the comments and ideas. I might try a "D nut" version just to see how hard it is to remove. :) Keep the comments coming.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
After a "D" nut has been on and off a few times it will loosen up, but not generally enough to come off by itself and even if it is hit it won't move far, which is unlikely anyway. Personally I see nothing wrong with the way you have it now. I used to have mine zip tied down before I removed them a few years ago and also had no issues. That's my .02

·
Registered
539 Posts
How hard is it to tighten the wing-nuts BY HAND until the bushings start to "bulge". Some of us like our ride to be sway-less while on-road. If you can't get it that way by hand I don't see the point. All you need anyway is a ratchet and the 14mm socket.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts