TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes like quick release hinges for doors on the 2nd gen pickups?? i really dont like the idea of tube doors, if im not gonna have a window might as well not have a door i know my seat belt works pretty well. i just dont want the hassel of having to un-do 8 bolts to get my doors off when i want them off

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sweet find!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol thanks now the question is do go ahead and get the tube doors too?? mister bush's stimulus check came in the other day no i have some money to spend, pros cons of tube doors, remeber my passenger door is pretty tweaked lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
Given the price of steel, you can buy those for about what it would cost to build some. We are going to make some for my son's truck (because we can, and it looks to be a fun project) but those hinges have been bookmarked for a long time as they are going to be the starting point.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i think if i decide to get those tube doors i mgiht just by them seeing as how i dont own a welder or skilz or a bender i might as well just by em but i am deffinetly going to get those hinges they look sick

·
7,735 Posts
I've been looking at/thinking about tube doors or half doors for a while. I'm a bit short and hate that that I can't see what's going on immediately around my truck/tires.

The one con I've really got hung up on is the openness along the bottom. I tend to have stuff in the truck on the floor (cb, water, phone, cigarettes, flash light, etc). I love the openness of tube doors, but I'd look for about a 4" panel along the bottom to keep stuff from rolling out.

Normally all my stuff is packed away so it's not like I have a ton of stuff just floating around the cab, but a sudden jolt here or there and things become dislodged and rolling.

·
7,735 Posts
Well.. yeah, I was looking at those too, but half doors are a little more than just 3-4" along the bottom they are solid about half height (uh.. duh). Maybe a happy medium would make me happy.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Take some junkyard doors, and just chop them to a height that satisfies you... I've thought about doing it. You just have to gut the inside, maybe reinforce it a bit, and weld some thin sheetmetal to the inside.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What do you want the half doors to do?
Protection from rocks?
Protection from cold?
Most production tube doors that I have seen don't seem like they do a damn thing for either of those. But then again I've never really looked at tube doors as all of my wheeling relied on sliders and door frames/overhead cages/exos for driver/passenger rock protection.

Perhaps you could use those quick release hinges and door strikers to create some home brew doors that provided real protection and then use dzus fastners to attach quickly removable door skins to your tube doors

Also if you want to get all mad max then you might consider NHRA style door bars...

Question: I understand the logic of cutting down/reinforcing factory doors but I've never really understood the fascination with tube doors. Perhaps someone who has them could clue me in as to their pros and cons?

·
7,735 Posts
Seems like I inadvertenly hijacked a thread... I was just offering my thoughts on the subject.. There were alot of different options I was thinking about and half doors certainly were in the mix. For me, it wasn't so much about the protection from the outside (keeping rocks/etc out), but keeping me in while providing some better visibility.

OP I apologize. back to you...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Benefits I could see for tube doors...

Better visibility
Not gonna trash your stock doors
Margin of safety for occupants vs no doors
More breeze in the desert heat
Wicked leg sunburns
Look really hardcore at the mall

They're on my list, wrap them in canvas and you got a place to stick stuff too. There were some kickass canvas bags that velcro around some of the more common Jeep tube doors, at EJS this year.

The half doors I've seen are cut flat on top like QD was saying...like this \__ or this \_/ depending on where they latch and driver preference.

Only thing I see not so good is propensity for occupants to leave limbs outside the vehicle more often! Please keep arms, legs, hands and feet inside while the ride is in motion :eek:.

-Sean

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well see my passenger side was t-boned before i bought the truck so the pass. door does not completely seal, there is about and 2foot by 2 inch gap between body and door, the rocker panel was squished in you see, so i dont think half doors would work, seeing as how a staright door will not latch or fit as correctly as the fugged up door does, so on the other hand tube doors will look a bit better than my stock passenger, and im not really losing any sense of a sealed cab due to the 2 foot gap at the bottom of the door, i dont know ill try to post some pics up need to find my camera... as an after thought, maybe some canvas like doors kinda like what jeeps run but shaped like a toytas doors i dont know though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts