TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How goes it everyone? My question is about these rubber clamps called Quick Fists. Even though my order from Cabella's is on the way, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a type of clamp that you can either A) bolt or weld to the bed and lock so noone can steal my shovels and axes or B) just customize your own? If anyone has any ideas besides the rubber clamps, lets hear it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the quick-fists in my bed and cab. They work great but I also have a cap so locking them isn't important back there. They do hold everything very tight, no rattling or vibration. I'm very pleased with them.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Like I said, they broke. I had 3 mounted on the rear platform of my rig to support my Hi-lift jack and two have broken since I mounted them 5 1/2 months ago. They were supposed to be super stout, and durable enough to support a hi-lift jack - and they didn't even last 6 months. So I cannot suggest them for this purpose to anyone. If you're using them to mount a flashlight inside the cab not exposed to the elements, they'd probably be fine. But who knows? Mine sure weren't worth the price. :2cents:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'll have to see how they go. If they broke holding a Hi-Lift Jack,I'm guessing they're going to break holding shovels and axes. Eventually I'll take my canopy off and am now tempted to just weld and fab my own locking clamps. thanks for the feed-back
:welder:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Like I said, they broke. I had 3 mounted on the rear platform of my rig to support my Hi-lift jack and two have broken since I mounted them 5 1/2 months ago. They were supposed to be super stout, and durable enough to support a hi-lift jack - and they didn't even last 6 months. So I cannot suggest them for this purpose to anyone. If you're using them to mount a flashlight inside the cab not exposed to the elements, they'd probably be fine. But who knows? Mine sure weren't worth the price. :2cents:
Just goes to show you- no such thing as a quick fist.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
Think about calling the company ? I mean my quick fist came with instructions on mounting them with a hi-lift maybe you could get some replacements. Sorry to hear that, I only use mine for my maglite or would use them for that but can't find the stinking light !

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
Well I'll have to see how they go. If they broke holding a Hi-Lift Jack,I'm guessing they're going to break holding shovels and axes. Eventually I'll take my canopy off and am now tempted to just weld and fab my own locking clamps. thanks for the feed-back
:welder:
I would think a shovel or axe would be for less heavy than a hi-lift, not defending the fists just saying

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Think about calling the company ?
I thought about it for about 5 seconds. But then I realized if they did offer me anything, it would probably be replacement, not a refund. And why would I want to replace a faulty part with another one exactly the same and presumably equally faulty? Getting another 5 1/2 months out of new ones would not really be good enough IMO. I'm looking for a long-term solution that I don't have to replace twice a year. If I could get a refund, I'd take it. But replacement with more of the clamps that I have would be a waste of my time. They simply did not do the job they specifically advertized them to do. Mine also came with instructions for using them to mount a Hi-Lift jack, which I followed. Call it the Arizona heat, dry air, or whatever. But they didn't work for me - or more accurately, I should say they didn't work for very long. Mounted in winter, and by late spring they were toast.

Yeah, something metal like that is a better idea. Maybe I can salvage some rubber from the QuickFist clamps to help keep a metal clamp setup like yours from rattling. Some combination of rubber and metal might be the way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From my rig:

Rob,
Been a long time since I've seen your rig on the trail! I always wondered where you got your axe/shovel mount. Was that something that is commercially available or did you have it fabbed? I will have a flatbed on my truck when I get home so I need to find a new spot to put my hi-lift/axe/shovel.

Romeo

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Rob,
Been a long time since I've seen your rig on the trail! I always wondered where you got your axe/shovel mount. Was that something that is commercially available or did you have it fabbed? I will have a flatbed on my truck when I get home so I need to find a new spot to put my hi-lift/axe/shovel.

Romeo
Looks like / similar to these
http://www.defenderracks.com/products.asp?id=106

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have to say you are the first I have heard having a problem with Quick Fist. Fire and police departments use these a lot for some things bigger and heavier than a Hi-Lift. Makes me wonder if you just got a couple of defective ones?

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
Rob,

Romeo
Hey Romeo! I haven't seen much of you either :( Your rig is looking GREAT! I have been busy with a new project and general life stuff...

That mount is from a company called "Conferr" they make, or made, roof racks and accessories for them. It's supposed to bolt to rack, but a bed rail adaption was almost as easy.

I say "make, or made", because they have been in and out of business a few times during the past decade.

Anyway, hope to see you around.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've had my quicks for two years now. My shovel doesn't move at all when on the trail. However, right off the bat I knew it wasn't holding a mall or a Highlift. Not with my set up anyhow.
I think it's been a great product and people don't steal shovels in Northern Virginia.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've had my quicks for two years now. My shovel doesn't move at all when on the trail. However, right off the bat I knew it wasn't holding a mall or a Highlift. Not with my set up anyhow.
I think it's been a great product and people don't steal shovels in Northern Virginia.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Quik Fist... Yeah, good product! I have them holding my fire extinguisher, and a spare rear driveshaft and have for about three years now. Hell I use Hi-Lift and spare D/S for bumpstops :missingto and the only problem I ever had was the bolt used to mount them squeezed through the mounting hole and it came off the mounting tube...

My QuickFist clamps have broken after less than 6 months of use. I am not at all satisfied with my purchase of this product. Would not buy again.
I'm not sure how you had them mounted, but I would think with three of them (if they can hold a driveshaft with a tire hitting it all the time) they should hold. Are you sure you did'nt just get a "bad batch" or some shit like that? I would contact them and go over it with them if I were you. Then again I did'nt use them for my Hi-Lift :flipoff4:

I will have a flatbed on my truck when I get home so I need to find a new spot to put my hi-lift/axe/shovel.

Depending on how you design the flatbed you can tap out a tube (round or otherwise) run a stud through, put a small bead of weld around it, and use some wing nuts to hold the Hi-Lift. Quik Fists will hold shovels and such just fine..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts