TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.7 4cyl

How is it exactly that the pully is held onto the shaft of the power steering pump? it seems that without the nut on the end moving I suddenly have lots of play in the pully and it isn't turning the shaft anymore. I need to know if this is a problem with the pully or if i have to go and order a new power steering pump.

does a new pump come with this pully already attached?

is it safe to drive the truck without power steering?

please help soon, i've got to sober drive on friday and everyone around here has to order the parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sjvicker said:
2.7 4cyl

How is it exactly that the pully is held onto the shaft of the power steering pump? it seems that without the nut on the end moving I suddenly have lots of play in the pully and it isn't turning the shaft anymore. I need to know if this is a problem with the pully or if i have to go and order a new power steering pump.

please help soon, i've got to sober drive on friday and everyone around here has to order the parts.
The PS pulley is held on by a nut. It should be clearly visible on the shaft end. Also the shaft itself is splined. There should be ZERO play.

A new pump does NOT come with a pulley. Should you elect to use a Toyota reman pump (...about $100 cheaper), you will have to remove the pulley and reservoir and reuse them in the installation.

The SM calls for a SST to hold the pulley while torquing the nut. This is not necessary. Use a 3/8" roll pin punch inserted into one of the holes at bottom of the pump and tighten. Works great.

Be SURE and torque the hose connections to exact requirement. Also be sure and get new washers for the union bolt fitting at the top. Leaks are likely if you don't.

·
Registered
436 Posts
sjvicker said:
2.7 4cyl

yea like the other guy said, there should be a nut on the end of the shaft holding the pulley on. also it sounded like the nut wasnt turning with the pully correct?? it should be. if not then the splines are probly stripped out on either the pully, the pump itself, or both. it happened to me, luckily it was just the pully and i had an extra one, the splines on my pump were still ok. hopefully u are as lucky as i was....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts