TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a toy that i can beat on with little to no fucks given, and i keep getting tempted by these mid-late 90's 4.0L jeep cherokees all over craigslist.

Quick, someone tell me about all of their common problems so I don't buy one on impulse!

·
Registered
114 Posts
They'll warp your mind to the point that you think your supposed to attach to the body and pull to the side when stuck, refer to random video thread.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hey... don't get a Jeep. You'll have to adopt a queer little wave move to everyone else who drives the same (common) vehicle as you.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I've been looking for a toy that i can beat on with little to no fucks given, and i keep getting tempted by these mid-late 90's 4.0L jeep cherokees all over craigslist.

Quick, someone tell me about all of their common problems so I don't buy one on impulse!
All the heep repairs will make you uber hostile.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
As others have said, just consider how many Jeeps are for sale on eBay? And for instance how mant TRD's? You'll have better luck finding a Jeep. I will say it took me a year + to find my current Tacoma.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the only toyota i want is a factory solid axle toyota. pre-85 pickup which you all know that means it's very hard to find one, let alone for less than 5k and it would be a shame to do what i want to do with it if i was to find one. lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
I love my old YJ, it keeps me from having to beat on my Tacoma during deer season. That said it does cost more in up keep and I do work on it more than any other rig I own to keep it dependable.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the only toyota i want is a factory solid axle toyota. pre-85 pickup which you all know that means it's very hard to find one, let alone for less than 5k and it would be a shame to do what i want to do with it if i was to find one. lol
Why does it have to be factory solid axle? There are plenty of good SAS toyotas for sale.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but less than 5k for a SAS yota? i don't want to spend too much because it's just a toy and i have many other hobbies and expenses. lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've seen some cool looking jeeps (slap myself) but one of the main things that's kept me away from them is the aftermarket. Sounds crazy but there's such ridiculous amounts of crap available I'd go broke bolting doohickies on it.

Also the used ones seem overpriced although I haven't seriously looked into them. Several people at work have them and all brag about how they hold their resale value. One guy was trying to sell his 92 (I think) for $18k with a lot of the above mentioned crap bolted on. I don't see how that would be a good deal considering other newer better vehicles I could get for way less.

Again, just hearsay. I intentionally avoid info about the jeep cult.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
but less than 5k for a SAS yota? i don't want to spend too much because it's just a toy and i have many other hobbies and expenses. lol
There should be quite a few around that price. You might have to drive a little, but being in the bay area there should be a lot in the surrounding areas. I search "toyota crawler" in Craigslist.
Here's one, cheaper and sounds better than what I payed more for.
1994 Toyota crawler, 4w drive - $4500
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4901204105.html

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
There is an old saying that goes "you get what you pay for". As you get older you'll find that saying gets truer and truer. That's how old sayings get to be OLD sayings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's going to be a beater from what he's saying. Who cares what brand it is. That's the thing about beaters, they're fun as he11 to drive around in because you don't give a sh1t what happens to it.

Seems like there are certain years of the auto trans you want to stay away from if I remember right. May want to look up what type of fuel injection they used over the years and see which one you prefer if it changed. There's enough of them around parts are probably pretty cheap. Just my :2cents:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts