TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one get into racing? I would love to get into a team to race CORR or SCORE. Does anyone have any info on it?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
you need $$

ive have been wanting to race for years now but i will not have enough money to support my race program until i have my actual career. start going out to local races and help pit with people. its fun and you learn a lot. also build your truck to racing sanctions specs, which means buy a rule book

heres a few sanctions

MDR

Score

BITD

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I basically have to have my own truck? Isn't there a way you can get onto a team and drive a team vehicle?

Im going to need a LOT of money. lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah. No worries. Im hoping to get into a Toyota Team. =]

So im hoping this site will be the only one i have to go to.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If your serious and not joking I would get involved in the sport first ,then learn the ropes. Maybe in a few years you either have the finances or the contacts. You dont want to make the same mistakes that are common knowledge to the racing crowd but you might not have any idea about.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dragon150043 said:
Oh yeah. No worries. Im hoping to get into a Toyota Team. =]

So im hoping this site will be the only one i have to go to.
dezertrangers is a forum....not that they all race rangers

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
06LVTACO said:
If your serious and not joking I would get involved in the sport first ,then learn the ropes. Maybe in a few years you either have the finances or the contacts. You dont want to make the same mistakes that are common knowledge to the racing crowd but you might not have any idea about.
How do I get involved? The guy above said go and help in the pits. Is that a good beginning path?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dragon150043 said:
How do I get involved? The guy above said go and help in the pits. Is that a good beginning path?

often times you can't just stroll up and offer a hand... gotta figure that these trucks have anywhere from 75,000 to 250,0000 dollars invested in their rigs and unless you know someone there personally, getting in with the in crowd might not be that simple...

if you want to DRIVE, you need to build up your own truck to learn the ropes and get experience in the sport and MAYBE a bigger fish will give you a ride in a chase truck or support truck... as to getting behind the wheel of an actual race truck, either shell out some serious cash to invest in or build your own truck...

that, or steal the first one you can get your hands on, but expect to lose your life to the hands of the owners and their crew...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikesdoublecab said:
that, or steal the first one you can get your hands on, but expect to lose your life to the hands of the owners and their crew...
Haha. I want to do this so bad that I wouldn't mind attempting this. :D

But I get what you are saying. I think I'll go about this like I did when I used to Turn Marshall for an RC race track.

Does anyone on here involved with racing? Maybe I can do an 'internship' of sorts.

·
Registered
513 Posts
ummm... I think you got great goals but we all need to learn how to walk first.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Factor said:
ummm... I think you got great goals but we all need to learn how to walk first.

word... ya really need to get into the sport by building your truck up, then join the desert guys on runs... get to know people... desert community is pretty friendly... when you are out there running your own shit, its easy to meet others and thats what gets the ball rolling...

this coming sunday is a pre-run out at Barstow Main... should hit that up and even if you truck is bone stock, at least you are out there learning how to walk...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Try to make it out to some of the races or like Mike said, go out on the local runs. It is a great way to meet people, some of whom race and may offer to let you help them pit or chace for them at the races. I have meet very few people in the offroading community who are not willing to help others out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dragon150043 said:
Theres tons of races around So-Cal and Nevada every year. Theres guys here who ask for volunteers for road crossings, safety stuff. Make some friends while your out there.
I would also spend some serious time in the desert driving. If it were you on a race team why would you even hang out with a guy who dosent know much about racing or seem interested in learning? Ask questions and listen more than you talk. Sorry for the novel.

LAST Read everything thru this whole desert folder. Tweeter, BajaBelk, and some of the other guys put a lot of effort into making this info easy to read. All the buildups and other peoples projects teach you a lot.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I definitely recommend you learn to wrench on your own vehicle before attempting to "help" with someone's race vehicle. Once you know what you're doing, then offer to help. You're not going to meet many people unless you make the effort. Go to some races, sit on the sidelines. Offer a hand if someone looks like they need it. You've got to give before you can receive. All the race teams are looking for is experience, and someone they can count on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. Thanks guys. I will have to take a spin out to barstow this weekend.

I completely understand the whole Walk before you Run thing. I have been very active in my grandfathers shop(back before he sold it). SO I have some technical experience( i know not on desert stuff, but at least its something) And I am pretty proficient at asking good questions.

Again, thank you. I will have to mosey on out to a few races. Im planning on building up my truck, so I should be keeping up REAL soon. :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
MDR is always looking for help, check the site and fill out the form, thats what i did and ill be helping out at the Barstow Race at the end of the month. No clue what ill be doing but im sure ill have a blast and meet great people. I also want to get a foot in the door and maybe try my hand at racing one day. I figure ill give to my off roading comunity before i start asking for favors. Oh and I already have the truck well on its way.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just get out there and watch a race, drive around and learn a couple things, sign up for helping out MDR at a race or two....

I wouldn't go near the pits if I were you until at least one guy who normally works the pits can personally vouch for my skills. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if you were to to cost them unnecessary time.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Tanto said:
I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if you were to to cost them unnecessary time.
Yah, like taking too long to pull the stop sign at the checkpoint because you're too busy shielding your hot dog from the dust.... :D

JK, I dug the California stops at that particular checkpoint. ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you were wondering how much money it will cost to race, the answer is simple and covers almost every level of racing: ALL OF IT!

You have to make sure that you want to race, because all of your money will go to it. You can kiss dreams of large homes and other toys good bye.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts