TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 ext cab with this cap
I am debating to go with a rack that fits up and over the cap or one that mounts directly to the top of the cap...one of these two.
I am looking at mainly hauling a canoe or two and possible some lumber or ladders ever now or then?
I figure that the stand alone rack would have the advantage of being able to haul stuff, if I need to take the cap off, but may have waterproofing problems with trying to get it to seal around the bed.
Anyone have experiences with these?
If carrying a canoe on a mounted rack any problems with the canoe swaying due to air speed? How do you secure it in front?
Any brands recommended for roof top mounted?

Thanks
Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the yakima plates screwed to the top of a Leer cap. The towers clamp to & sit on top of the plates. Looks like your first pic. The bars are then only 4 1/2 feet apart, not enough spread for a 17' canoe. My solution was to get the correct yakima clips to use the front bar on the cab for hauling long stuff.

I wouldnt be comfortable with a long load only secured to the cap. You have to center the load on the rack, & that seems like it would create a lot of twist.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use the kind that has plates bolted to the top of the shell. Seems pretty stout - I use it to pick up the shell with no other support. If you tie a canoe up there and tie the forward tip to the front bumper, I don't think it's going to go anywhere.

You will have some wind issues with this, because I know even with an unloaded rack I have wind issues, if it's moving across my truck fast enough. This will be lessened to some degree on a non-lifted truck though, but I'm not sure what you have.

If you want to see what I have, this is it:

To waterproof the bolt holes, I put a bead of RTV around each one as I mounted the plates, and made butyl washers for the plates to sit on. I also drilled aluminum bars that match the bolt holes inside, for added strength. Works great and no leaks up there. On the other hand, your worst leaks will be at the tailgate most likely. That's more of a challenge ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
this is my set up, i bought the topper for 550 and didnt even have to paint it! even came with the thule rack. it was meant to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts