TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory radiator finally started leaking after 14yrs, 190,000 mi.. I was debating getting another factory one, and researching aftermarket radiator's was driving me crazy. I decided to give a Koyo replacement a try (c1774). Ordered it through auto zone, said it was for a manual trans but after receiving it I see that it has auto trans fluid ports. Size was correct for my application.

Although the box looked beat up and possibly opened before, the radiator was bubble wrapped and banded, appears to be undamaged. The lower mounting holes gave me a hard time, off just enough to be a pain. The core design is noticeably different, 2 rows instead of 1, tighter fin spacing and I could be wrong, but it appears to be copper core, painted black. These differences had me questioning my decision.

The purpose of the post is to be informative but also to get input on this radiator.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.

·
Registered
311 Posts
quote=lunarmist02;2701882]Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.[/quote]

Obviously, OEM radiators have aluminum cores with plastic tanks, with copper radiators, maybe radiator shops can fix them if leaks again. Or might be cheaper buy another radiator, or not.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote=lunarmist02;2701882]Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.
Obviously, OEM radiators have aluminum cores with plastic tanks, with copper radiators, maybe radiator shops can fix them if leaks again. Or might be cheaper buy another radiator, or not.
[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts