TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 toyota tacoma and the other day I stopped and smelled antifreeze and looked under the truck and coolant was going everywhere. I checked the hoses and they were not leaking. It looked like it was leaking all the way across the bottom of the radiator. I lost alot of coolant but I filled it back up and drove it home, with no problems. Today I removed the skid plate and started the truck and let it warm up, then drove around for about 30 minutes and nothing. I talked to a guy here locally today and he said that sometimes if the truck flex alot that the tabs that holds the tank on the radiator can loosen up and cause a leak. I didn't tighten anything down, just added water and drove the truck and nothing happened. Don't know whether or not to buy a new radiator until it does this agian? They are very expensive. I think I will leave the skid plate off and that way if it were to leak agian then I will be able to possibly see where it is coming from better.

Any ideas of what is going on?? Or what should I do??:eek:

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Try to locate the previous leak-
Should be evident from pink crust where toyota coolant meets air

Could be a small leak in the radiator?
Could be a leak in the rad hoses
Could have been a loose clamp

Monitor it - especially since Summer is on its way
Aftermarket aluminum radiators are cheap- They often have lifetime warranties-
If you do replace radiator, also replace upper & lower hoses and ditch the OEM hose clamps - get some worm gear hose clamps from auto'hardware store
If you do replace the

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the post, I was just wandering why it could happen one time and not everytime? also i didn't see any signs of a leak

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
thanks for the post, I was just wandering why it could happen one time and not everytime? also i didn't see any signs of a leak

Hard to tell - You could have been low on coolant before or temps could have been hotter
Could be a tiny hole in the plastic top section of the radiator
Leak could have sealed up-
The Toyota red coolant dries up when exposed to air

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It could also be the water pump seal. Is the overflow reservoir empty or full?
Where is the overflow tube of the reservoir pointing?

Also, he should not just top it up with water alone but with the proper mix of coolant and water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts