1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I read your install. You said small clearancing of the DIN slot right? I can see it fits. Why does Amazon say the dimensions of your radio are 3.5x15x8? Must be a misprint. It says the 980 is 15" too.

I am looking for a CB and was liking the Uniden 880, 980, and yours.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dims that Amazon post is packaging size, not product size.
Go to Uniden's site for actual size.
The 980 and 880 is the same size.
I love my 980, once I bought and use a Wilson 1000 antenna.
No worries about grounding.

The Few days after installing my new CB, I could not get the SWR below 1.5..... I pulled my meter out and try to find the grounding fault... Well it turned out my coax cable had its sheathing torn and it was grounding onto a sheet metal edge.
So what do I do... Go buy a Wilson 1000 antenna, mag mount. A couple hours later of figuring out how to route the cable into the cab, my SWR is now perfect.
Any reason to buy something new is okay with me... ;)

So why a Wilson 1000, I use to own a K40 back in the 80s.. And loved it... That was a roof mount on my Ranger. Yes, I know that K40 and Wilson are now owned by the same company...:D so I figure I will try the Wilson. Heard great things about them, plus with just a stainless steel whip... No issues of damage.

It works great on AM and the Weather channels. I have not ventured yet to the SSB.

So now I have an old CB and a Wilson Silver Flex 4ft as backups.

I mounted mine on my tool box.... So all that would hit is the whip.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Sounds good. That is what CBradio forum recomended to me. The Uniden 880 with the Wilson 1000.

If can afford it I may go with the 980ssb.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
How did you route the cable?

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you route the cable?
When I was using my oil' Wilson Silver Flex ... It ran thru the firewall, on the passenger side, there is a rubber grommet for the truck's computer.

Now for my new Wilson 1000, it is going thru the passenger side floor grommet, just under the passenger seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts