TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per the request of mgyver1, here's my set-up. It technically contains a 2-meter ham-capable radio, but I didn't want to hog the 2-meter ham install thread.

Center control panel

From the top down:
  • Motorola IHF-1000 Bluetooth cell phone control unit (main control box is behind center control panel trim, sitting on A/C vent; microphone is mounted to driver's A-post, and speaker is mounted WAY up under the left side of the dash, near far left A/C vent)
  • Sony CD/stereo unit
  • Radio Shack PRO-2096 scanner. (Mounted with foam 2-sided tape and electrical tape to the bottom of the Sony unit, since Sony head units and Toyotas don't mix easily, and Tacomas are apparently NOT 2-DIN compatible)
  • Kenwood KCH-4 control head and microphone. (Controls 2 Kenwood radios)
  • White wire to connect iPod to stereo (wired through center control panel to Sony stereo's rear "Aux" inputs)
  • Silver switch (behind the Kenwood control head) for the strobes.
.....................................................................................................

Passenger's side "kick" cover

This Motorola radio speaker is for the Radio Shack scanner.
.....................................................................................................

Under driver's seat

Kenwood TK-730 (VHF) and TK-830 (UHF) radios, linked with KRK-4DB dual-band kit. Mounted under driver's seat, power cable run under driver's floor/door trim, through rubber grommet on driver's-side firewall to in-line fuses, then battery (soon to be run through seperate fuse box near stock fusebox).
Kenwood does not make these radios anymore. They were replaced by the new TK-x90 series.

Antennas

from left to right:
The UHF and VHF antenna cables start under the driver's seat, run under driver's side rear floor/door trim, up beneath rear driver's-side seatbelt wall trim, then split: the UHF up under felt roof edge, then out to rear window; the VHF along beneath the below-the-rear-window trim (the long skinny one), up the passenger's-side rear seatbelt trim, under the edge of the roof felt, then onto the rear window.
The scanner antenna cable is routed similarly, but starts (obviously) in the center control panel, and runs around and back the passenger's side.

Under passenger's seat

The speaker is, obviously, for the Kenwood radios, and is wired under the center console armrest.
The 4 Whelen HA239C strobes themselves are mounted in my front parking light fixtures and in the "reverse" portion of my tail light fixtures. The wires to them run under carpeting (ROYAL pain in the butt, by the way, since I didn't remove the carpeting to do this... used the old "feeder wire" trick most of the time to pull 'em through), then exit the cab forward or rearward through the rubber grommets in either the forward firewall (near floorboard), or the rear lower corners of the cab (behind that felt/cardboard thing back wall). The rear ones are zip-tied to the frame, avoiding any pinch/flex points.
The power supply has a built-in relay, and the switch for it is wired under the center console to the bottom of the center control panel (as seen in the first picture).
The main power for the strobe power supply is routed, again, through the rubber grommet on the front passenger's-side firewall to the battery. (This will also soon be wired into the new fuse box.)

Garmin c530 GPS unit
Cigarette lighter power cord is routed under dash to the suction mount location. (If you're in the market for a good GPS unit, this is cool, but I'd recommend one of the Garmin nuvi models instead. This one won't display LAT/LONG info, or let you enter LAT/LONG destinations, while the nuvis can. :()

That's pretty much all I have. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Hope this helps someone... um... somehow? :cool:

-Radar

·
Registered
779 Posts
i love your rig man, awesome set up! when you come to the mainland, you can give me tips for my truck any day.

-Alex

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man! As long as it has to do with radios or radio wiring, I'm pretty savvy. Still waiting to make my first attempt at the suspension upgrades, so I wouldn't recommend taking any advice from me on that as of yet. :D

-Radar

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Good write up on your set up. So have you thought about mounting your antennas on the roof. All it takes is drilling a hole in your roof, no big deal right?? :eek: I would definitly like to get a scanner but I'm quickly running out of room in my truck (I shoulda got the double cab! :buttkick: ) I dig the set up though, very groovy. I'm very into strobes and mobile communications.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
nice setup man. what kind of antenna are you using for the scanner?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice setup man. what kind of antenna are you using for the scanner?
Thanks, man! The scanner antenna is some multi-band on-glass thing I found on eBay. Wasn't any brand name that I know of, but it works OK for VHF, UHF, and 800/900 MHz stuff.

-Radar

·
Registered
51 Posts
im going to agree with every one here, awesome set up.

you ever hit up dirty lickn's, a chicken wing spot in aiea?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha ha. Nope, never been to Dirty Lickn's. With a name like that, though, I'll have to look it up!

-Radar

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah bro you have to hit it up, man i could go for some right now but dont come complaining when you go there several times a week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have that same power supply..its currently sitting in a box in my room, I don't think I'm ready to attempt routing wires through my truck, I was afriad it would be a PITA. Thats one reason I went with LEDs this time around...

Did you do the whole hi/low power/pattern selection thing, or is it just one switch?

·
Registered
779 Posts
still a nice set-up and I still don't have one.. (hint radar with a silent w, HINT)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you do the whole hi/low power/pattern selection thing, or is it just one switch?
I didn't even bother with it. I used the lead that you're supposed to use to select patterns and applied voltage to it when I was finishing up the install (by sticking it into a crimped power lead) a few times to "scroll" through the different light patterns, found the one I wanted, then taped off the lead so it wouldn't short on anything. As for hi/low: I've never seen any vehicle that had a high/low strobe switch, and I can't imagine why I'd want to go to the trouble of making one.

If you do the install, good luck! The worst part was the back pain after doing 2 days of running wires around the truck. :( Ha.

-Radar

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still a nice set-up and I still don't have one.. (hint radar with a silent w, HINT)
Um, what... am I supposed to buy you one?

·
Registered
779 Posts
no i can do that ... just need your experetise... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts