TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio turns itself on and off. It's really annoying. The problem started as an issue with volume control knob when the truck was new. I actually had the head unit replaced under warraty. Obviously, the design wasn't corrected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2010 Tacoma radio was a total POS-and yes, also occasionally doing what you were talking about. Can't believe there was no bluetooth in 2010. And, when I hard-cabled something into the Aux jack, I could barely hear it driving down the road with the windows open (nowhere near enough volume).

Kenwood makes AMAZING Android Auto (and, I think also Apple ones) radio heads. Swap that POS radio out and it's like having a new truck for a few hundred bucks. The audio is great (people can barely tell you're calling from a car phone), the volume is great, full google (or whatever) navigation, bluetooth, HD radio, etc. SO worth it.

*It's worth getting the adapter kit that lets your radio talk to the car. It reads the ODBC, steering wheel turn, tire pressure, etc.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2010 Tacoma radio was a total POS-and yes, also occasionally doing what you were talking about. Can't believe there was no bluetooth in 2010. And, when I hard-cabled something into the Aux jack, I could barely hear it driving down the road with the windows open (nowhere near enough volume).

Kenwood makes AMAZING Android Auto (and, I think also Apple ones) radio heads. Swap that POS radio out and it's like having a new truck for a few hundred bucks. The audio is great (people can barely tell you're calling from a car phone), the volume is great, full google (or whatever) navigation, bluetooth, HD radio, etc. SO worth it.

*It's worth getting the adapter kit that lets your radio talk to the car. It reads the ODBC, steering wheel turn, tire pressure, etc.
Thanks. Is the head unit in an '09 Taco swappable with an aftermarket? The fit looks very "proprietary" to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't swear to it--but I expect it is. You'd be surprised.Turns out, there's a bunch of fancy plastic covering up a pretty normal radio hole-so you just buy a new front plate and, voila, like new.

Here's a pic of the POS factory radio from my Taco. They just put in a new piece that matched almost identically but had a hole for the new radio--you'd never know it wasn't factory.

And, the Kenwood radios support that extra Maestro kit (optional--but so recommended) box that ties into your vehicle's data bus, it is actually better and more capable than many top-end factory radios.

If you can find last year's model at a discount, that might be a decent way to go as well. I replace my Honda Fit's radio this year and did that--the only difference was one less camera input (2 was enough--I didn't need 3 or 4). This is a link to one of their top end ones--you an save some money if you don't need CD/DVD and/or go with one from last year--But there's no way I'd wast my time putting in a radio that wasn't Android Auto (if you're into Apple, "CarPlay"--Kenwood speaks both): DDX9907XR | eXcelon | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA

What's really great is that it easily has enough room for a double DIN radio--so slipping in an Android Auto one wasn't a problem.

Note:Having replaced a few radios, I'd strongly encourage you to not cut wires and stuff--way better getting the right wiring harness (B**t B*y's installer, a few cars back, kinda did a hatchet job--the harness wasn't included in their "free" installation and, in fact, just leaving the extra plugs from the back of the radio where I could get to them was like an extra "$100 special fee"). Tying in the Maestro system adds some complexity, so if you're not pretty technically aligned, you might want a true Kenwood dealer/installer. But, SO worth it!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't swear to it--but I expect it is. You'd be surprised.Turns out, there's a bunch of fancy plastic covering up a pretty normal radio hole-so you just buy a new front plate and, voila, like new.

Here's a pic of the POS factory radio from my Taco. They just put in a new piece that matched almost identically but had a hole for the new radio--you'd never know it wasn't factory.

And, the Kenwood radios support that extra Maestro kit (optional--but so recommended) box that ties into your vehicle's data bus, it is actually better and more capable than many top-end factory radios.

If you can find last year's model at a discount, that might be a decent way to go as well. I replace my Honda Fit's radio this year and did that--the only difference was one less camera input (2 was enough--I didn't need 3 or 4). This is a link to one of their top end ones--you an save some money if you don't need CD/DVD and/or go with one from last year--But there's no way I'd wast my time putting in a radio that wasn't Android Auto (if you're into Apple, "CarPlay"--Kenwood speaks both): DDX9907XR | eXcelon | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA

What's really great is that it easily has enough room for a double DIN radio--so slipping in an Android Auto one wasn't a problem.

Note:Having replaced a few radios, I'd strongly encourage you to not cut wires and stuff--way better getting the right wiring harness (B**t B*y's installer, a few cars back, kinda did a hatchet job--the harness wasn't included in their "free" installation and, in fact, just leaving the extra plugs from the back of the radio where I could get to them was like an extra "$100 special fee"). Tying in the Maestro system adds some complexity, so if you're not pretty technically aligned, you might want a true Kenwood dealer/installer. But, SO worth it!

View attachment 61754
Thanks for the detaled reply!

That DDX9907XR is a lot more than I want to spend on my old girl, though. I'm thinking maybe $250 with the full compatibility kit.

-Mike

Reactions: robs

·
Registered
16 Posts
I figured for the equivalent of 1-2 months worth of payments, I could get that radio and it would be like having a new truck with all the bells and whistles.

For a fraction of a new car price. Lol

I get creative in justifying my choices for wasting money--but, as long as I fool myself, I'm good!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts