TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone or group of people went to the Patriot trail this past week and cut off all of the rails that keep people on the trail and took them. I assume they did this to steal them and sell them for scrap. They where there last weekend.
This sucks. I hope they don't try blame the people that do the wheeling.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'd be down to help install some new ones; if someone has a generator I have a welder... I sold some tires to a guy who has a welding rig; I'll see if I can find his card. He has an 80s F250 with lots of fab stuff on it.

>>Dan

edit: For scrap? That's sofa king we-todd ed (on the thieve's part), steel is low right now... like $160/ton.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These where cut flush with the rock. Whoever put these up to start with drilled into the rock and had them mounted in concrete. The whole process would have to be started over again.
Does anyone know who adopted that trail?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So just curious I saw in another thread that some of the railing was damaged because some had winched off of it and it broke. Is it possible that the group that adopted the trail cut them all so that no one would winch off of them since some were damaged?

Could a smaller railing be built by sliding a smaller diameter pipe into the larger pipe in the ground and then welded to the original?

·
Registered
279 Posts
So just curious I saw in another thread that some of the railing was damaged because some had winched off of it and it broke. Is it possible that the group that adopted the trail cut them all so that no one would winch off of them since some were damaged?
Maybe, but wouldn't it be easier to put in winch points and make them obvious? Paint them yellow or something? Plus, why not just hang a few signs off the railing telling people not to use the railing to winch from? Sounds like vandalism, pure and simple.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Maybe, but wouldn't it be easier to put in winch points and make them obvious? Paint them yellow or something? Plus, why not just hang a few signs off the railing telling people not to use the railing to winch from? Sounds like vandalism, pure and simple.
It was actually written on the railing to not winch from them...someone welded the words on. Also there are various winch points around the railings that are painted in neon colors.

I suspect vandalism as well. While some of the railing wasn't very well put together (not the greatest welding done on them), for someone to take the time to drill holes and cement them in seems like they were to stay there for a long time.

EDITED to say that the trail does need a little bit of work done to it though IMO. I know of one winch point on liberty that has broke from the rock (with rock still attached to it) and is now creating a tire slashing hazard and is no longer useful. There is also another one that is hard to find that nobody knows about and should be brought to their attention better. There are three on the exit of Patriot...last time I was there, one was being winched on and it was moving the rock A LOT...so it's about to pull out soon, another hazard. The second one there someone used after they had already broken one steel winch line, so they wrapped the cable around it and it broke again. So there is a giant wad/mess of cable still around this point making it difficult to use. It needs to be grinded/cut off. All of the points need to be repainted as well since they are faded and hard to see.

Did anyone take the left line? I've always wondered how that would go if the rails weren't there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rails previously torn down had been run over. The majority of the ones cut off are on flat areas that you would not need to winch from. The others have wich points in the rocks. No need to use the rail.
I will be the first to volunteer to help fix if need be. Actually the second, Wakkjob already volunteered.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Next weekend project? It wouldn't be hard for us to at least paint the tow points and maybe get that cable cut off.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, from what I can find, it's possible that Colorado Rockhoppers and Predator adopted this trail. If they need help and still run it, hopefully they will post that they need help fixing it.
Good idea Ice Horse. Maybe we can at least go down and do a little clean up this coming weekend. There's starting to get a little build up of trash. Would hate to see this trail closed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Report the damage to Colorado Trail Patrol as well. Let them know it's vandalism.
http://staythetrail.org/ctp/index.php

I wouldn't just go out there and start welding the railings up without the BLM knowing. The club that has adopted that trail has that connection to the BLM.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Report the damage to Colorado Trail Patrol as well. Let them know it's vandalism.
http://staythetrail.org/ctp/index.php

I wouldn't just go out there and start welding the railings up without the BLM knowing. The club that has adopted that trail has that connection to the BLM.
I'm just talking about doing a trail clean up. There's starting to get a lot of trash laying around.
I'll leave the repairs to whoever adopted that trail.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm just talking about doing a trail clean up. There's starting to get a lot of trash laying around.
x2 any repairs should be left to the governing land agency and/or in conjunction with whoever adopted it

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Got it; I can't find that dude's number either so I'm out of ideas to help. Guess I can pick up trash though, is there going to be a meet-up time? What day?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Right on, I wasn't directing my comment towards you specifically. It was more of a general heads up about performing trail maintenance on USFS & BLM land.

Thanks for picking up trash on the trail. If everyone did the same, the trails would be spotless. I always end up with a ton of trash in the back of my 4Runner after running trails.

I remember going out in 03 or 04 and helping redo the railings & pouring some concrete on Freedom (had a huge 3 foot ledge at the end of it, Freedom is just that, an easy way to get out of the trail.) It was all coordinated through the Rock Hoppers & the BLM.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That exit on Freedom looks real good now. I left Colorado in 2003 and it was in rough shape. Came back in 2009 and everything looked sweet.
I'll try to firm up plans for a clean up possibly for saturday. It doesn't have to be anything major or take all day.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Saturday would be cool. I could help and we could put my new lights on while I'm down there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts