TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it themselves or had someone else do it?

What did it cost you?

I have a 8ft 1" slate pool table that needs refelting. Since it needs to be broken down to be moved about 30 miles, i want to refelt it at the same time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have not bought new felt, but I put my pool table together. The felt was the easiest part, making the damn thing level was hard.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
My brother refelted and refinished his pool table. He got the felt on ebay for 70 bucks. He googled for instructions...

Watch out for some people on ebay. Some will sell some fabric store felt that sheds. Just read the feedback, you should be fine (and don't settle for the cheapest)

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
I also had mine refelted when I moved it and they took off $50 from the refelt since it was already apart. Cost me about $350 for the felt and labor, but I got the upgraded felt....don't settle for the "basic" felt....spend the extra ~$100 and get the good stuff...it plays MUCH better! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having worked in the coin op industry I've had my fair share dealing with pool tables. On the route we have a guy that recovers all of our tables for us. My recommendation would be to contact one of your local operators and ask who they use for recovering tables. Most will let you know no problem since it's a home table. Just check your local bars and look for the service sticker on the equipment and give them a call.

As far as cost goes. If you've got a one piece slate it will definately be cheaper than a 2 or 3 piece.

We also move all of our tables without disassembly. On the 6'x3' and 7'x3.5' we can get away with 2 people. On the 8'x4' we typically use 3 people for safety. Just use a furniture dolly (the flat wood and carpet style). Align the dolly next to the table. Tip the table up on it's side centering the table over the dolly. Use a ratchet strap to secure the table down tightly and roll the table whereever you need to take it. Unfortunately you can't take it over anything more than a curb this way. Anything more than that and you will have to remove the slate.

If you take it upon yourself to move the table, if it starts to fall get the hell out of the way. Don't try to stop it because you won't. A 4'x8' can weight upwards of 800 pounds and will really hurt or kill you if it lands on you.

As far as leveling them goes. Piece of cake. The easiest way is to use 2 pool cues. Put the two cues perpendicular to each other and use them as a lever to lift the leveler into the air. Then adjust that leveler. Just be sure to keep your fingers out from underneath the foot because if it drops it can take a finger.

To level the table, it's easiest to use a 2 or 3 foot level. Start off with the end to end leveling. Then a side to side leveling. Once you've got the basic leveling done, then check the cross-corner level. Just fine tune until your done. It's usually quicker if you have one person to adjust the feet and another to watch the level.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
bump

just took apart my table to scrap the shitty metal and MDF frame and rails. now i'm looking for a place to supply all the rough cut unfinished parts; legs, cabinet. rails and pockets. cant get a response from the manufactures till monday i guess, but i doubt they would do that.

anyone know of a place that could do that? I'm looking for solid wood, maple or cherry. i figure this would be a good use of the nice slate i have and save some money.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
well i know a local guy that can build anything from wood...doors, gunstocks etc etc...anything at all....he custom made his son a pool table (slate top and made the table from black walnut) and it looked awesome...too bad your not from the NE MS area...my advice would be to look into your local wood-working shops and save yourself some coin...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts