TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going with a lift that will fit 33's and am curious as to how much I can expect to pay to have my truck re-geared? If anybody has the name of a reputible shop in So Cal make sure to post it.

I am thinking Precision Gear 4.56 wich I will most likely buy online unless the shop I choose caries that brand. So what am I looking at labor cost wise...

·
Registered
741 Posts
i am looking to regear, i set my self up with a member that has the front diff of the gears i want, but as for the rear, performance offroad center has the cheapest price for yukon gears and install kit, there is a guy here in sacramento that is going to charge me 200 for the labor, that is if i bring in the 3rd member... the gears are cheaper if you call perfromance offroad center, compared to ordering them off the internet, cause when you call them you can mention pirate 4x4 or ttora and should get a discount.
hope that helps

·
Registered
340 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
I am thinking about going with a lift that will fit 33's and am curious as to how much I can expect to pay to have my truck re-geared? If anybody has the name of a reputible shop in So Cal make sure to post it.

I am thinking Precision Gear 4.56 wich I will most likely buy online unless the shop I choose caries that brand. So what am I looking at labor cost wise...
Check with T&J Performance in Orange. They can get Precision Gears and do good work.

http://www.tandjperformance.com/products.htm

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would probably go with a 4.88 better pulling power. I have 5.29's front and rear and they make all the difference in the world. I'm running 36" tsl radials and it pulls the tires in overdrive like they were the stock ones. At 80mph 2,700 rpm at 85 mph 3,000. At 90mph out of override 5,000 rpms. I guess about a thousand dollars can't remember what I paid but my gears are yukon gears and I havent had a bit of problem out of them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Live4yotas said:
I would probably go with a 4.88 better pulling power. I have 5.29's front and rear and they make all the difference in the world. I'm running 36" tsl radials and it pulls the tires in overdrive like they were the stock ones. At 80mph 2,700 rpm at 85 mph 3,000. At 90mph out of override 5,000 rpms. I guess about a thousand dollars can't remember what I paid but my gears are yukon gears and I havent had a bit of problem out of them.

I have the V6 and the 5spd. I thought I heard I would be good with the 4.56 gears.... am I mistaken?

·
Registered
662 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:

With the cost of gears, instal kits, and labor with me just dropping the truck off was $900. It was through a guy who did it on the side, but I had talked to numerous people who reccommended him, and he had re-geared a couple of his own Yotas.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I regeared my 98 2.7l to 4.88 to push 33x12.5's and the gears/master install kits totalled 640, instal was 620. Best mod i've ever done, i get 20mpg w/my 33's :)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
I have the V6 and the 5spd. I thought I heard I would be good with the 4.56 gears.... am I mistaken?
4.30s to get back to darn-near-stock and 4.56s for a little better power. With the v6/5-sp, I'd go with 4.56s. 430s will also keep your speedo/odo reading correctly. With 4.56s you will be off but a change of speedo gear for $20 can fix that depending on what year truck you have.

you can, however, survive with your stock gears with the v6 so you might try that first and see if you really think you need to spend the $.

The 'drop-off the diffs' prices posted are about average; sometimes you can do better but not much. If you just drop off the truck figure labor up to $2000 and as low as $800 for fr/r install.

parts will run around $400 for the gears and around $300 for the install kits.
replace the rear axle seals while your at it for $14. check with PORC for best prices.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Is your speedometer right or does it read fast?
It reads 80 when i'm doing 70 on the highway according to gps, but if i wanted to i could get a new speedo gear for like 20 bucks from the dealer and fix it or get the expensive programmer thing but i can deal with it for now.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
KStacoma said:
It reads 80 when i'm doing 70 on the highway according to gps, but if i wanted to i could get a new speedo gear for like 20 bucks from the dealer and fix it or get the expensive programmer thing but i can deal with it for now.
best I've done with my 4.88s is around 18-19 but I average 70 or so on the hwy. (with the 33t gear I'm within 1mph according to gps) what speed you you run? (corrected)

2.7 5-sp 33s, 4.88s, tons of armor

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hytenor said:
best I've done with my 4.88s is around 18-19 but I average 70 or so on the hwy. (with the 33t gear I'm within 1mph according to gps) what speed you you run? (corrected)

2.7 5-sp 33s, 4.88s, tons of armor
Damn if i can get w/in 1mph it might be worth it to do that speedo gear swap

·
Registered
264 Posts
KStacoma said:
So is that 20 mpg actual or indicated? Are you using the miles as read on the odometer or are you adjusting them down by 15% when you calculate the MPG? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Why would I adjust them down 15 percent?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
KStacoma said:
Damn if i can get w/in 1mph it might be worth it to do that speedo gear swap
the accuracy will depend on what gears/tires you had stock and what you have now and what speedo gear you have now. there are gears available with 28,30,31,32 and 33 teeth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
You're not mistaken, I'm running 4.56 precision gears pushing 33x12.50. It's just the right combination for the V6..5-speed. My mpg has increase big time. It's a little increase in RPM, but not by much and my speedo is off by 5. Anything lower you're going to regret that's if you're not planning in the near future to go bigger!

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
KStacoma said:
I come up with a 12.5% adjustment.
80mpg indicated X 12.5%, subtracted from 80, gives you 70mph actual.

so, for switching speedo gears you would need a gear with 4 more teeth than what you have in there now to get your speedo/odo reading correctly. The only way to find that out is to pull the gear and check the # on the bottom (or just count the teeth, duh ;)

If you have a 28t now you can switch to a 32 and be dead-on. If you have a 30, the best you can do is a 33t and you would still be about 3% off. Since factory speedos are only accurate to +/- 5% you might be right on ;)

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/speedo drive gear/

·
Registered
264 Posts
KStacoma said:
You would adjust them down by whatever percentage your speedometer is fast since your odometer is ringing up miles just as fast. You said your speedo reads 80 when you are going 70. That means your odometer rings up 80 when you have only driven 70 miles.

If you were figuring out your gas mileage for that trip you would want to use 70 miles (actual) instead of 80 miles (indicated.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
hytenor said:
the accuracy will depend on what gears/tires you had stock and what you have now and what speedo gear you have now. there are gears available with 28,30,31,32 and 33 teeth.
Hey man! This is interesting, do know off hand what new speedo gear I will need if I went ahead and change out the speedo gear. My stock was 4.10 gear with 31". Now I'm running 4.56 pushing 33x12.50 bfg mt. 3.4 V-6 5 speed.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts