TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody, I used to spend some time on this forum and it was great. Back in 16' I decided to sell my 98 taco (330,00 miles) and started driving a 91 fj80. The fj80 was great but it took me to the other side(ih8mud). Well long story short I loved the 80 as much as my tacoma but unfortunately I wrecked the 80 last week and I afraid she is done for. In the perfect world I would buy another 80 series because they are exactly what I want in an adventure rig. But right now I am trying to finish up school and I have a year left. Next spring semester I will be forced to travel, possibly across multiple states, for my clinical rotations. I need something that I can work on and that will be reliable with no major repairs needed for the next year. I also need something better for traveling for my clinicals and something easier to pass emissions because I have a feeling I will end up somewhere with emission standards.
My 98 had the 2.7 and I want another one because it was such a reliable motor and because short of engine or tranny work I should be able to handle any repairs and base lining maintenance on my own.
I found a 2000 I am interested in and I had a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with.
When did they switch from a cast iron exhaust manifold to the stainless steel manifold on the 2.7? I want to avoid a possible burnt valve situation. Also what is the deal with the frame rust recall? I figure it is too late to pursue the recall for a 2000 year model. Any common things to check for specific to the 2000 year model or 2.7L? I remember some things but I am sure I have forgot others.
Thanks for your time and responses. I have been doing some searches but between a new job, dealing with doctors, insurance companies, and attorneys after this wreck, I am short on free time and rushed to make a decision on the truck I am watching, so I really appreciate the help.

I am excited to get back into a Tacoma, and because everyone loves pictures, here are some pictures from underneath the truck I am looking at.
image000006.jpg
image000008.jpg
image000007.jpg
image000009.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
The frame rust warranty eclipsed in 2015. After that, you are on your own.
Not accurate. Toyota still honored the 15 year frame warranty. I spoke to Toyota corporate offices twice about it after 2015 and they confirmed it, although it took them about a week to get back to me before I ultimately took my 03 in for inspection... Because I ended up getting my 03's frame swapped in 2018.

OP, if you're interested in a mint frame first gen 3.4, LMK. Been on the fence about selling it, but am willing to sell to a good home. Has some minor rust on the body and wear but you will not find a cleaner frame first gen unless someone with an 04 got theirs warrantied out in 2019...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts