TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking for advice on the details of installing my planned lift soon. So far, I am planning on coilovers in the front and new leaf pack in back. Hopefully I can make a few friends in the meantime.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You've come to the right place, for friends and advice. What rig do you drive? What are your plans for the truck?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Plenty of good people here! :xbeer1:

Don't buy anything yet...wait until the Christmas party, look at everyone's trucks, ask around and then spend some money. Usually, when a bunch of people from COTTORA get together, it looks like SEMA but dirtier.

What part of CO?

-Sean

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plenty of good people here! :xbeer1:

Don't buy anything yet...wait until the Christmas party, look at everyone's trucks, ask around and then spend some money. Usually, when a bunch of people from COTTORA get together, it looks like SEMA but dirtier.

What part of CO?

-Sean
I'm working in the Denver area and live in Wheat Ridge.

·
7,735 Posts
Nope, we're all full of friends, not going to be friendly to anybody else for a while...

Just kidding, welcome to the club, try to make that christmas party, I missed it last year and regretted it all year long.

I got the same truck, did about what you're talking about (C/O's and AAL) plus some armor and you'll be very happy with what it will take on. Troy will post up his usual recommended order of things soon I'm sure. I've got no problems with his list. But start thinking of your overall plans for the truck (seeing some of ours at the part or a run or something will give you some ideas) then start tackling it in the order that Troy will throw out. Think Armor (sliders/skids/bumpers).... you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Since Troy hasn't posted an "order of things" yet...here's my recommendation:

1. Don't buy anything "Made In China"!
2. Drill
3. 4.5" angle grinder
4. Sawzall
5. Welding instruction (or pick it up from people here)
6. Welder
7. Bender
8. Press

9. Trim & tub wheel wells
10. Build & install armor
11. Extend suspension travel
12. Run whatever tire fits after all the trimming

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
So, after all that buildup, you're gonna be disappointed in "Troy's list":

Armor - sliders, skids, bumpers (in that order)
Wheeling a beat up truck and always fixing stuff ain't fun
Gears/lockers -
Nothing increases the offroad capability as much
Tires- when the ones you got are worn out, put on the tallest tire you can fit
Lift - after you've wheeled the crap out of the above setup and know EXACTLY what you want - might be leave it alone, might be a SAS, who knows - but you haven't spent very much money on stuff you end up cutting off.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm Beer:xbeer3:

Welcome! Troy's list is pretty good. Only I suck at following suggestions. I went:

1. Lift 2.5"
2. Tires (stock 07 tires suck on everything)
3. Sliders
4. CB (You miss out on all the fun)

Next on the list:
5. Skids
6. Bumpers
7. Other Dodads!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
1. Don't buy anything "Made In China"!
What kind of lift are you looking for? ToyTec here in Northglen sells coil-overs and they are sweet. Plus an Alcan (NOT made in china!) add-a-leaf that works very well.

Here is everything they have for an 02 Taco:
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=63&Itemid=53

Also since you are so close you can just go pick it up and talk to Doug (the owner directly) about any questions... and no shipping!

Tell them you are with CoTTORA and you get 10% off.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Do not go with the cheap ebay spacer lifts and add a leafs. My truck is not doing well because of it. Well and floggings. Any of the lifts put a little more stress on the ball joints. When you lift the front anything over 2.5 it gets even worse on the balljoints. Some aftermarket UCAs would be a good investment with the lift, and some high angle CVs, oh and locking front hubs, don't forget gears that cost more to setup because of the style of 3rd member. On second thought why don't you just SAS it.:D

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
i love my tundra coil and OME struts in the front. its a great and CHEAP setup. and i went with full custom Alcans for the rear. great suspension, now i just need longer shocks in the rear to get full use out of the alcans. but i did skids FIRST. then lift, then sliders, then locker. now working on bumpers. i sorta jumped around because its my style of build. dont let anyone tell you how to do things! even though we all want to! :D

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yeah I actually went like this...

1. Coilovers
2. Tires & wheels
3. Leaf springs
4. Skid plates
5. Trimming to actually fit the tires
6. Sliders
7. More trimming

If I were gonna do it again, I'd do it like the first list I posted...trim the shit out of the front wheel wells, put about $2K in to some bolt-on suspension mods, and wheel it while I saved money for wheels, tires, lockers and gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts