TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this option affect the following after installed:

- Ride quality
- Alignment
- Warranty
- Durability of suspension & or steering components


Since I'm new to the 05-07 Tacoma's, I don't have a clue. I would guess that it does affect alignment, slight change in ride quality, and it does affect the warranty if a problem ever arises.


What's the opinion on these lift kits? I tried a search and found nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
most ppl prolly didnt reply because stuff like this has been convered 100000 times. You should search for the type of lift and read a lot on it. The type of lift you go with will make a world of difference. For example, spacer lifts are known to give the worst ride quality. They are not recommended. Use the search function around the top of your page and search for stuff like spacer lifts, OME lifts, drop bracket lifts, and body lifts. This will shead a lot of light for you.

It all depends what your going to do with your truck and how much you wanna spend. If you know these things, reply and i'll try to remember to come back and help you.

do you wanna drive fast through the desert, go on trails, go through mud, or crawl?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,161 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
most ppl prolly didnt reply because stuff like this has been convered 100000 times. You should search for the type of lift and read a lot on it. The type of lift you go with will make a world of difference. For example, spacer lifts are known to give the worst ride quality. They are not recommended. Use the search function around the top of your page and search for stuff like spacer lifts, OME lifts, drop bracket lifts, and body lifts. This will shead a lot of light for you.

It all depends what your going to do with your truck and how much you wanna spend. If you know these things, reply and i'll try to remember to come back and help you.

do you wanna drive fast through the desert, go on trails, go through mud, or crawl?
Hello kettle. My name is pot, and you're black.
 

·
TTORA SoCal
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
Hello kettle. My name is pot, and you're black.
Yeah, but he has sure come around to the dark side hasn't he? He is almost all grown up! Keep it comin Muddintaco!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muddin taco2131 said:
most ppl prolly didnt reply because stuff like this has been convered 100000 times. You should search for the type of lift and read a lot on it. The type of lift you go with will make a world of difference. For example, spacer lifts are known to give the worst ride quality. They are not recommended. Use the search function around the top of your page and search for stuff like spacer lifts, OME lifts, drop bracket lifts, and body lifts. This will shead a lot of light for you.

It all depends what your going to do with your truck and how much you wanna spend. If you know these things, reply and i'll try to remember to come back and help you.

do you wanna drive fast through the desert, go on trails, go through mud, or crawl?
Actually, I don't plan on wheeling this truck. It will go offroad but only for short durations for hunting, camping, etc. It's not going to be a trail truck.

What I want is to maintain the smooth stock ride, add a few inches in the front and leave the rear suspension alone if I can. The spacers seem like a logical option but I don't want unwanted shimmy-shake from what I have read here.

I plan on adding an ARB bumper so I know the extra few inches will be needed with the added weight.


What do you guys recommend? I don't have a clue since I'm new to Toyota. I have read countless threads and none of them have really given me the info. I need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Actually, I don't plan on wheeling this truck. It will go offroad but only for short durations for hunting, camping, etc. It's not going to be a trail truck.

What I want is to maintain the smooth stock ride, add a few inches in the front and leave the rear suspension alone if I can. The spacers seem like a logical option but I don't want unwanted shimmy-shake from what I have read here.

I plan on adding an ARB bumper so I know the extra few inches will be needed with the added weight.


What do you guys recommend? I don't have a clue since I'm new to Toyota. I have read countless threads and none of them have really given me the info. I need.
If you are going to add and ARB bumper you will need newer springs and possibly shocks up front... the added weight will sag your front end prematurely... Heavey duty shocks and springs will be in order... Spacer lift is prolly good for you...
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Actually, I don't plan on wheeling this truck. It will go offroad but only for short durations for hunting, camping, etc. It's not going to be a trail truck.
Doing anything to the suspension will change the ride quality...

So Do nothing... The truck is quite capable to do... what you need to use it for...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Does this option affect the following after installed:

- Ride quality
- Alignment
- Warranty
- Durability of suspension & or steering components


Since I'm new to the 05-07 Tacoma's, I don't have a clue. I would guess that it does affect alignment, slight change in ride quality, and it does affect the warranty if a problem ever arises.


What's the opinion on these lift kits? I tried a search and found nothing.
You get what you pay for. The best lift IMHO for cheap is a would be an OME. If you don't plan on putting bigger tires on just get the front coils to compensate for the bumper. That is what ARB desiged them for anyway to handle extra load and give a bit more travel. Not to fit bigger tires.

Search for Magnuson-Moss, and it should answer your questions about the warranty, and aftermarket accessories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Try this link to help explain the pluses and minuses of all the different kinds of lifts.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=137

From a ride stand point, the quality of the ride will suffer because the spring is compressed, that is how the lift is achieved.

From reliability standpoint, the springs will wear out at a faster rate. They were designed to work best at a certain length and weight.

From a performance side, whatever the truck gains in lift, it looses in articulation ie uptravel. That is how 33 inch tires can fit, loss of uptravel prevents the tire from going as far into the wheel well as it should or could. For off roading, the more articulation the better, at least to a certain extent.

The positive sides are that it is relativly cheap, easy to install or remove.

So, there is no free lunch. I guess its what your willing to live with, can afford or must have.

:2cents:

Wally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,364 Posts
IMO I would go with the OME for your purposes. If you hunt and camp, I would also add the OME Dakar springs to the rear. The factory spring is softer than fresh shit and won't hold all of your gear and a good sized buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
rubberpants said:
Yeah, but he has sure come around to the dark side hasn't he? He is almost all grown up! Keep it comin Muddintaco!

lol thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
Hello kettle. My name is pot, and you're black.

hey josh, i havent seen you around much! How things been? Get your job situation figured out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, back on topic here...


Does a spacer lift or a coil lift (like the ToyTec OME lift kit or Donahoe), require a new UCA to get the camber within alignment?

Any other companies besides Total Chaos for UCAs?
 

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
Joined
·
18,420 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Does a spacer lift or a coil lift (like the ToyTec OME lift kit or Donahoe), require a new UCA to get the camber within alignment?
Quick answer - No

Long answer - Replacing the UCA with an aftermarket model does help your alignment. The arms have additional caster built into them, which you lose when you lift the front end. If you are pushing the lift closer toward the 3" mark, then I'd recommend the UCAs. Also, when you have that much lift, you push the limits of the upper ball joint, which can cause boot failure and binding. The UCAs have a uniball which solves this problem. This is why you can run the extended length coilovers with the aftermarket UCAs.

Ozark-Taco said:
Any other companies besides Total Chaos for UCAs?
Total Chaos
Camburg
Donahoe
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top