TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright due to the weather in these parts I have a pretty good coat of mud built up all over the taco. I'm fixin' to make a 400 mile roadtrip today, and my brother told me due to the mud caked on the transmission housing I am running the chance of overheating the transmission (06 5spd). Any truth to this? I would go wash it but it's going to be just as bad next week. What say you TTORA?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes mud is a insulator. Depending on ambient temp, how hard you are pushing the truck (towing,hills, etc) its possible. Just stick one of the sprinklers under it (one of the like arch partern ones). Or wash it, it costs like $10, if that is too much, you shouldn't be 4wheeling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only wish I had time to go 4wheeling all of this mud is a result of going to work, I guess I was just looking for some valadation to sit on my ass and be lazy for a hour or so, well off to wash the truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Eh or just get the sprinkler out and put it underneath, then go inside and drink beer and eat nachos.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it with a 5 speed, I drained mine after a long road trip and it was slightly warm not even hot. Your going to have a lot of cool air cooling of that mud!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
The tranny isn't the primary cooler, your radiator is...

Sure, tranny get rid of some, but you think it makes a large impact?

·
Registered
533 Posts
NorcalPR said:
The tranny isn't the primary cooler, your radiator is...

Sure, tranny get rid of some, but you think it makes a large impact?
I was assuming he had a manual 5 spd, I guess its an auto? That explains concerns about heat!

ya, the radiator will cool them shits down just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
ike
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing