TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is extremely hard to push, to the point that if I dive it 2 days in a row my calves start to hurt. It’s a good work out but hasn’t always been like that.

I haven’t changed the clutch fluid since I bought it at 80,000 miles and it’s currently at 125,000 miles. The fluid is black and I plan to change it this week,but from what I’ve been reading that might not be the only problem with it. Would a clutch getting ready to go out do this ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advanced !

Adam

·
Registered
398 Posts
i dont think a clutch has fluid.... it uses friction material just like on brake pads and if you have fluid on those they dont create the friction and the clamping inorder to get the truck moving. the clutch might have bad springs or somthing, but i have never heard of "clutch fluid". maybe it is a bad throwout lever and somthing. bump for an answer

·
Registered
339 Posts
i dont think a clutch has fluid.... it uses friction material just like on brake pads and if you have fluid on those they dont create the friction and the clamping inorder to get the truck moving. the clutch might have bad springs or somthing, but i have never heard of "clutch fluid". maybe it is a bad throwout lever and somthing. bump for an answer
Umm.. What? Dude the clutch is hydraulic.. Therefore it uses fluid in motion to engage and disengage the clutch. That's why there is a reservoir under the hood for the clutch.. It's very similar to the system brakes use.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
94runner said:
uh unless you have some awesome mechanical gearing setup quite a few clutches are actually hydraulic..... just like the brakes are on your truck. you push the pedal and it in turn pushes a hydro master that pushes a hydro slave. so uh alot of clutches have clutch fluid... and to go even further, hudsons made after WW2 had fluid clutches that had hundreds of pieces of cork pressed into a plate that sat immersed in a bath of fluid. it allowed for smooth operation and actually they made an automatic adapter that could shift the manual transmission for you. so feel illustrated. if you want to know where your clutch fluid is at check on the drivers side close to the fender and the firewall...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Sloth said:
Umm.. What? Dude the clutch is hydraulic.. Therefore it uses fluid in motion to engage and disengage the clutch. That's why there is a reservoir under the hood for the clutch.. It's very similar to the system brakes use.
x2, hence the reason u can interchange clutch and brake fluid.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump since that didn't help at all , lol!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sloth said:
AWw.... i completley forgot that the clutch was hydraulic.... i was thinking that he was talking about some fluid on the clutch disk or somthing. your right...carry on

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
mudwieser said:
My clutch is extremely hard to push, to the point that if I dive it 2 days in a row my calves start to hurt. It’s a good work out but hasn’t always been like that.

I haven’t changed the clutch fluid since I bought it at 80,000 miles and it’s currently at 125,000 miles. The fluid is black and I plan to change it this week,but from what I’ve been reading that might not be the only problem with it. Would a clutch getting ready to go out do this ?

Maybe something is binding, like the throwout bearing, or the pressure plate is having problems. Is the clutch making any noise?

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
In my experience changing clutches, almost everytime the owner tries the new clutch for the first time, they say its much easier to push in the pedal. Not quite sure why. Maybe as the clutch disc wears down, the pressure plate gets harder to engage because the springs have a greater arch. I don't know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts