TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've looked through a lot of posts and got an idea of what to do but I thought I would let everyone know my personal situation.

I have a 99 Tacoma with a 3" Revtek lift, running Rancho 5000's and BFG AT 285/75R16 on TRD rims.

Truck is a daily driver with rarely any offroading or loading. Since I've had this setup, the ride is extremely rough. The potholes in Edmonton this spring are the worst ever. The truck rattles, shakes, bottoms out and chatters all the time. I feel every imperfection in the road. Its starting to cause interior squeaks now and occasionally bumps the satellite radio off. I'm Fed up! :mad:

So I'm looking for a softer ride but a ride that still handles well.

I know I need to change the shocks but not sure which ones. I also would consider replacing the leafs since they are old and I've hauled some heavy loads in the past.

Need some input.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
444 Posts
from your description of what kinda running gear you got - yeah, it sounds like equipment to knock fillings out.

rancho 5K's are notoriously stiff

if your truck is a TRD equipped truck, then the rev-tek spacer took all of the "progressive" out of your progressive rate coils - leaving you with just the stiff stuff.

lotta people speak highly about OME products - and if you got the $, a quality coil over. check out wheelers - they sell OME stuff, bilstein stuff, sway-a-way stuff, and have a selection of spring options for you to choose from - they are listed in the sponsors section. really friendly people, and pretty good prices. and they got the hook-ups for what you need.

·
Registered
741 Posts
This should be in the Newbie Tech, otherwise you open yourself up to all kinds of shit sturring because you need to search more..

anyways, to get a softer ride you need a better set of coilovers, because with that revtek lift it is just a spacer lift, and it limits the suspension travel up front. a coilover would allow complete travel and is set up for a smoother ride.

coilovers like...

Sway a way...
Kings...
Dhoes....

its going to be especially rough because have so much height to be able to clear the metric 33s, so i am assuming you have pretty much no down travel.

Austin

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
ommmm ok a 650lb coilover will give a nice plush ride? no winch or bumper?? for a dd?

go for the ome coils in front w comfort shocks. dakar leafs in rear also w c. shocks. tha co's are expensive when compared to the ome coils and i doubt theyd hold up with all the salt and shit we see on the roads. (check out WHICH COILOVERS FOR SALTY WINTERS post).

also check out the location of ppl offering advice cause they may not have to deal w the severe climate and whatnot.

you dont off road so id think youd be skipping the heavy bumper and winch. ive had ome 882 in front w the dakars in rear for about 8 months now and its way better than the old worn out shit i took off. i drive a 00 ext cab 4x4 v6 dd.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i've got ome 881 coils on my truck and the ome soft ride shocks all around. had em for over a year and i'm quite happy. our saskatchewan potholes have been a good test for the ome stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
CanTaco said:
Truck is a daily driver with rarely any offroading or loading...

...So I'm looking for a softer ride but a ride that still handles well.
If you hardly ever wheel it, you could just go back to stock TRD C/Os. It would be cheaper to find a used set than SAWs or Hoes. And it would give you a softer ride. I personally wouldn't do this, just playing devil's advocate. If ride quality (and lift) is more important than $$$, do what TacomaNova said and get highend coilovers. If $$$ is determining factor, going back to stock or OME are options.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
good shocks and light coils will give you a good ride. OME coils or 550# toytec or All-pro coilovers will give you a good ride. a heaver coil will be stiffer. Above all ditch the rancho's! if you want to keep the spacer lift try a NON TRD coil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Ok, I'm learning and thanks alot for the input.

I just want to clarify, I don't have a TRD tacoma. Its a base 4x4 3.4 V6. So I assume the front coil springs are softer that the TRD coils on that model if I didn't have a lift.

From the responses i've read:

A coilover shock would be a higher end setup for lift, travel and quality but more expensive and I assume I would require a diff drop. And my Revtek lift could be thrown out.

A set of soft shocks from OME or equivalent and a soft coil set for the front would work well and and be cheaper. I assume my Revtek spacer would still be useable for this option too.

Also, I am looking to get a Roadarmor bumper and a bullbar at a later date so I assume the 882 coil would work the best for the added weight.

And I would like to add I live in Alberta where the weather is fairly harsh, we get alot of salt and sand on the roads in winter and it gets all over our vehicles; so I would want a setup that best stands up to our weather.

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't saying to keep the spacer on the TRD coilover....just go with a stock, no lift, TRD coilover. But that doesn't sound like the direction you want to go in :) and I don't blame you. You'd save too much $$$ keeping your truck stock and what fun is that? ;)

In regards to the diff drop, you DON'T need one. Do a search for diff drops and you'll find a general agreement that they're no good/not needed. You wouldn't regret the $ you would spend for a higher end coilover after you felt the ride quality. As with everything, you get what you pay for.

Here's one link about the diff drop:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62684&highlight=diff+drop

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I just want to clarify, I don't have a TRD tacoma. Its a base 4x4 3.4 V6. So I assume the front coil springs are softer that the TRD coils on that model if I didn't have a lift.

TRDs have progressive coils and the v6s are in the 500# range, a little heavier than the 480s that the non-TRD v6s have.

From the responses i've read:

A coilover shock would be a higher end setup for lift, travel and quality but more expensive and I assume I would require a diff drop. And my Revtek lift could be thrown out.

"diff drop" is a waste of time and $25 and will do nothing of any substance.
yes, adjustable coilovers are the way to go if you can afford them. SAW 2.0s are the lower end of the top brands and are great for the average driver. If you ever want a heavy winch bumper in the future these will handle the weight.
yes, throw out your Revtec and especially those 5000s
:rolleyes:

A set of soft shocks from OME or equivalent and a soft coil set for the front would work well and and be cheaper. I assume my Revtek spacer would still be useable for this option too.

No, you will not be using the revtec spacer. In fact, doing so with the heavier OME coils will give you 4" of lift...not a good idea.
However, with 880 or 881s you can utilize the Revtec top-load spacer (the thin one on top of your coil/shock assembly. This is what Toytec uses for their kits) if you need another 3/4" of lift.with 882s any addition will add way too much lift and degrade the coils...they tend to sag with too much added preload. you can add their 'trim packers' which are 5mm thick and add about 10mm of lift/trim but more than 2 tends to kill the coils after a while.

Also, I am looking to get a Roadarmor bumper and a bullbar at a later date so I assume the 882 coil would work the best for the added weight.

then forget the OMEs...they just cannot handle much extra weight (much less that 200# monster that Roadarmor makes :eek: ) and maintain any lift. They tend to bottom out with a heavy winch bumper as well. All the OME coils for the early Tacos are the same weight rating, wire size and # of wraps. The only difference is in the length of the coil...they are stretched. For a winch bumper the bare minimun seems to be 650# coils. I ran 675# SAW 2.0s with mine for years...perfect shocks for my 300# of bumper and armor up front

And I would like to add I live in Alberta where the weather is fairly harsh, we get alot of salt and sand on the roads in winter and it gets all over our vehicles; so I would want a setup that best stands up to our weather.

hmm, then back to OMEs but forget the heavier front bumper.
or, just remember to hose your front shocks down after driving on salted roads? Donahoe does have some sort of special something they use for your situation on their COs so you might call them and inquire. I don't know if Sway Away or the other companies have anything similar, however. I feel for you guys that have to put up with that stuff.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
thanks hytenor maybe i shoulda used bolt type.

look at the coilovers vs salty winters thread. some neat pics and some disturbing advice.

some dude actually told me to wash em down after every salt exposure. ok i washed my truck at the car wash 2 times this whole winter. if you live in a cold assed snowy salty canadian climate for a good portion of the year you dont waste $$ for carwashes every day just to have the truck freeze up in the morning and end up being just as dirty after the ride to work. and my garden hose doesnt exactly work in winter so im not about to be under the truck in - 30 w a soapy bucket of hot water trying to baby my purdy co's while the water freezes on the co' as soon as it hits it. every day.

i just soak the shit out of the truck w fluid film and under coat in fall and ride out the winter.

as for the bumper try gettin someone to fab up an alu one to save wt? or wash the co's every day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok

look at the coilovers vs salty winters thread. some neat pics and some disturbing advice.

some dude actually told me to wash em down after every salt exposure. ok i washed my truck at the car wash 2 times this whole winter. if you live in a cold assed snowy salty canadian climate for a good portion of the year you dont waste $$ for carwashes every day just to have the truck freeze up in the morning and end up being just as dirty after the ride to work. and my garden hose doesnt exactly work in winter so im not about to be under the truck in - 30 w a soapy bucket of hot water trying to baby my purdy co's while the water freezes on the co' as soon as it hits it. every day.
Exactly why I don't want to spend the extra money on c/o's. I definitely don't wash my truck as well in winter that often. Its not worth the money or the hassle.

I'm not that fanatical about suspension. I just want a decent ride.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
darwink1 said:

i just soak the shit out of the truck w fluid film and under coat in fall and ride out the winter.

as for the bumper try gettin someone to fab up an alu one to save wt? or wash the co's every day.
have you checked the prices on Al bumpers lately? :eek: they were $1600...5yrs ago. and they don't weight that much less.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
leaf pack?

I think I'd like to replace my leaf pack too. My current stock leafs are pretty much straight now and I've had some punishing loads in the back a few times.

What about Dakar leafs with shackles? I've heard they give a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
cant go wrong w/ome leafs IMO. and you wont need a shackle w/them ;)

Andy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no shackle?

I thought I would need a shackle to keep my 3" lift and take the RevTek blocks out.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
CanTaco said:
I thought I would need a shackle to keep my 3" lift and take the RevTek blocks out.
Yove lost me. Are you trading the blocks for a shackle or the blocks for OME leafpacks. If your going w/OME leafs then you probably wont need a shackle for 3".

Andy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jamarquardt22 said:
Yove lost me. Are you trading the blocks for a shackle or the blocks for OME leafpacks. If your going w/OME leafs then you probably wont need a shackle for 3".

Andy
I just thought i'd still need to keep the blocks with the new leafs or scrap the blocks for shackles.

Good to know I won't need the blocks.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
CanTaco said:
OME leafpks give you 2-3" of lift depending on how many of the overloads you keep in there and how much weight you keep in the bed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
meh i was thinkin for him to get one made.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts