TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an issue for a few months with my rear axle leaking onto my rear drums and shoes causing a pulse in the brakes. Sometimes the driver's side rear tire will actually lock up with just slight pressure to the pedal. I'm curious as to how involved it is to replace the axle seals that are by the rear drums. I'm assuming you have to remove the axle but I have the Rear Diff lock and I've never messed with anything like that before. I have replaces spider gears in my old Wrangler before along with axles so this isn't completely new to me. Anyone have any advice please chime in.

TIA

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Not sure if there is a rule of thumb regarding replacing outer at same time as inner but I would say that when you yank the axle you might consider checking the bearings and outer seal while you are in there. Press work involved to replace, but most machine shops can do it. I got it done for 45/side, Toyota up here wanted 105.
If you do decide to do outer seal, make sure you get it from Napa or dealer- the other two sources I've used were both wrong on the outer seal and bearing. Definately dealer on the bearing. Easy to forget but don't forget to replace or have on hand to replace the bearing collar as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts