TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, if I remember correctly you do need to put them back, because your inner axle seal sits on the ring to the inside of the ABS ring.

·
Registered
650 Posts
x2, Winch does remember correctly. The thing will leak all over the place without them. Just did one.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The tone rings have to be put back on correctly ie the right depth or the axle seals will leak anyways.

You can reuse the original tone rings for the abs IF you don't bend them taking them off.

Wally

·
Registered
651 Posts
You need the seal ring but you do not need the ABS ring. Some will say it helps keep the seal ring square to the shaft but it is such mild steel and has such a short actual contact patch and high aspect ratio to the shaft that it could not possibly do anything. It does not seat against anything or act as a spacer at all. At least on my factory 99 TRD rear with ABS rings but no ABS.
If you are replacing the seal ring, lube the shaft with a light smear of sealer then press it on and clean off the excess. Oil can seep under that ring. Toyota specs a distance to press it on but all that changes with the new improved seal. The wider lip on the newer seal ends up functionally about 1 mm further inboard than the original. How hard you seat the new seal into the axle tube also can change things. Add up all the variables and you may or may not luck out.
The seal ring MUST be square to the shaft and the only way to know is to check it with a home made go/no go gauge or an inside micrometer at several points in relationship to the bearing. The brg is pressed square against a shoulder. The use of a press and the proper adapter will not in itself guarantee success.
Measure the location of the old ring before removing it. And press the new one on about 2 mm short. Then put some hash marks on the face of the seal ring (the whole circumference) with a Magic Marker. Lightly grease the lip of the installed seal and install the axle assembly. Snug up the 4 nuts and spin the axle 5 or 6 times and pull it back out. The lip of the seal will have rubbed the marks off where it is actually contacting the ring. Adjust the location of the ring as necessary to get the seal to contact the ring near the center. For the fine positioning of the ring I used a brass drift to move and square the ring. A slide hammer (carefully, alternating sides) with a hook type adapter can be used pull the ring back if you went too far.
This may seem like a lot of work but it only adds about 1/2 hr to the job and you KNOW it is right.

A note....... With all the problems folks were having with the TRD/ABS seals and continued leaking, including dealer shops, I took my time, did my own pressing and checked and double checked all dimensions and procedures before, during and after the job.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I went through four seals, checked, rechecked, used the right tools to put the seal in but it still leaked. I ended up letting someone else take a look at it and tell me what I was doing wrong. Taking it apart isn't hard, putting the bearings, seals and collar wasn't hard, getting it to seal correctly was............. not as straight foreward as I thought.

Wally

·
Registered
607 Posts
I went through four seals, checked, rechecked, used the right tools to put the seal in but it still leaked. I ended up letting someone else take a look at it and tell me what I was doing wrong. Taking it apart isn't hard, putting the bearings, seals and collar wasn't hard, getting it to seal correctly was............. not as straight foreward as I thought.

Wally
Sounds like a bad bearing to me. What size tires are you running and back spacing? I was running 35-37's and had to replace a bearing about once a year. Go full floater and never look back.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sounds like a bad bearing to me. What size tires are you running and back spacing? I was running 35-37's and had to replace a bearing about once a year. Go full floater and never look back.
265/75/16 tires, stock rims with no spacers.

It all started with a bent axle last August while playing on the rocks, bent the drive shaft too, but that was a more straight foreward fix. After going through 4 seals, I had to get some help to solve the problem. Ended up, I didn't seat the collar that held he tone ring on at the correct depth and so the axle seal wasn't sealing correctly.

If I have any more problems, I may just do that, tear it down and full float it.

Wally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts