TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a rear axle made and was wondering what the ideal width should be?

Right now the front width is 84" and the rear is 78". At 78" the tires barely stuff inside the glass at full bump. I can bump it lower if I were to go with a wider axle, so it won't rub, but I was wondering what the benefits would be of a wider track in the rear?

If I do go wider, should I stay narrower or wider than the front?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
u want to have the same or close to the same trackwidth front to rear.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
itll be more stable for one and for two youll be driving in your own tracks, not trying to make to sets. its like having to drive throught the same shit twice. get what im trying to say

·
Registered
523 Posts
Don't lower your bumpstops! Cut the Damn glass out of the way!! or take it to a glass man and have it "stretched out" which is cutting:) That would just be pretty lame if your limiting factor was your fiberglass

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
it looks cool and turns better wider upfront but it is ideal to be the same on all corners. Your truck wil have a better grip and wont slide out in the rear nearly as much, thats what im looking forward to when i get a 9" axle in the rear. And I agree that you should cut at your glass a bit

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
I'm having a rear axle made and was wondering what the ideal width should be?

Right now the front width is 84" and the rear is 78". At 78" the tires barely stuff inside the glass at full bump. I can bump it lower if I were to go with a wider axle, so it won't rub, but I was wondering what the benefits would be of a wider track in the rear?

If I do go wider, should I stay narrower or wider than the front?
84" :eek: dang...what is your rubber to rubber measurement?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
measure from mounting surfaces

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
66" for the rear, haven't done the front though... WMS to WMS
that makes a little more sense, thanks.
good thing the '05+ LTs don't see much trail use, :p way too wide to get through them...82" rubber to rubber is pushing it for a SAS Taco...pre-05.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think track width is actually the center of the tire patch which is different than your wms if your rim mounting face is not exactly center of the wheel.

Is your front otw (outside tire width) 84" at its widest or at ride height? You probably wanna set up your rear width at the mid width of your truck which is measured when the lower arm is parallel to the ground (widest) and at full droop (usually the narrowest). That way your rear tires stay in the same track more, which is a good thing like others have said. And just for info, every 1" you add in the rear will add 0.5" to your outside turning radius. So honestly I wouldnt worry about your turning radius if youre deciding between 80" in the rear or 84". Does 2" difference really matter if your turning radius is 25ft (300 inches)?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
thats track width, but all hes saying is in relationship to one another what they should be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies.

Socalmoto, this makes alot of sense, what I am calling track width is rubber to rubber at ride height.

The diff has been ordered at 70" from WMS to WMS, that is 4" wider than stock. It will still be about 1.5-2" narrower at the rear from rubber to rubber.

The pinion is a 1" PS offset.

·
Registered
249 Posts
What kind of axle housing did you order?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts