TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
If you are on dezertrangers, you have probrably already seen this. Otherwise here it is.
62" f55 deavers
16" 2.5 dual bypass fox shocks
32 gal fuel cell- jaz
2 vertical spares








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Frame boxing looks good. I'm sure you're planning on doing more to the shackle pivot but just to be safe make sure you do some gusseting that goes over the top of the pivot tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
Agreed, I have some plate work on mine up both sides, that plus something wrapped all the way over the top should work. How it is now will rip your frame up for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
TBob said:
looking good but why didn't you just 4link it?
Those leafs set up correctly and valved correctly can out run a shitty link set up in the rough stuff.

Plus a link set up is more time, money, and room for error when your a green fabricator.


*I'm not calling pinky a bad fabricator but he might know enought about Link set ups yet*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
TimF said:
Those leafs set up correctly and valved correctly can out run a shitty link set up in the rough stuff.

I call :bs: ....yea last trophy trucks I saw where all runnin leafs it the new cool thing to do. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Matt Helton is the current 1450 champ and he runs deaver leaf springs in the rear. Of course they are set up and tuned propperly. He beat out many other trucks that were linked in the rear. Obviously high end trophy trucks do have properly set up links not to mention center mounted a amrs and so on, but if properly tuned deaver 62's and a set of bypass shocks can do just as well as a linked truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Hopefully mine will be going on next week with a cantilever setup, 18 inches of travel all under the bed with 10 inch shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
yes picks needed cause I'm on the fence with either a canti setup or run 12's and limit the travel to about 14 when I go 62's.




Bob your dumb, I was obviously referring to a Toyota or other production truck.

But in the late 80's class 8's where the faster vehicles in the desert and had to run what the truck had stock IE it came with leafs you needed leafs. To get around this guys ran a elliptical spring off the front of the axle kinda as lower links and then ran coilovers and shocks on top of the axle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
ahhhh ok..... :rolleyes:

jermedic said:
Matt Helton is the current 1450 champ and he runs deaver leaf springs in the rear. Of course they are set up and tuned propperly. He beat out many other trucks that were linked in the rear. Obviously high end trophy trucks do have properly set up links not to mention center mounted a amrs and so on, but if properly tuned deaver 62's and a set of bypass shocks can do just as well as a linked truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
TimF said:
But in the late 80's class 8's where the faster vehicles in the desert and had to run what the truck had stock IE it came with leafs you needed leafs. To get around this guys ran a elliptical spring off the front of the axle kinda as lower links and then ran coilovers and shocks on top of the axle.
Actually a quarter-elliptical setup doesn't use coilovers, the upside-down leafs running off a roller on the axle support the weight of the truck, and bypasses coming off of the axle or trailing arms control the damping. Basically a 3 or 4 link setup but instead of coilovers on the trailing arms they used a large (like 23 or 24 something leafs) leaf pack cut in half and ran upside down. Pretty funky setup, but pretty sweet when setup right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
biggest problem with this set-up was the leafs would always break.

Baja Belk said:
Actually a quarter-elliptical setup doesn't use coilovers, the upside-down leafs running off a roller on the axle support the weight of the truck, and bypasses coming off of the axle or trailing arms control the damping. Basically a 3 or 4 link setup but instead of coilovers on the trailing arms they used a large (like 23 or 24 something leafs) leaf pack cut in half and ran upside down. Pretty funky setup, but pretty sweet when setup right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
TBob said:
HELLO?? are you following the conversation? - I've never seen 62" quarter elipe deavers - :rolleyes:
Yeah I understand, I was following the convo perfectly fine. Mike was saying how it was a sweet set-up with the cut leafs (23-24 pack) and you said they break, then I said I've never seen 62" Deavers break which is good news for the way Pinky is set-up :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
who the hell is Pinky?

Tweeter said:
Yeah I understand, I was following the convo perfectly fine. Mike was saying how it was a sweet set-up with the cut leafs (23-24 pack) and you said they break, then I said I've never seen 62" Deavers break which is good news for the way Pinky is set-up :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
45 Participants
redtaco.taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top