TTORA Forum banner

Rear build

31K views 192 replies 44 participants last post by  redtaco.taco 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are on dezertrangers, you have probrably already seen this. Otherwise here it is.
62" f55 deavers
16" 2.5 dual bypass fox shocks
32 gal fuel cell- jaz
2 vertical spares

See less See more
#9 ·
TimF said:
Those leafs set up correctly and valved correctly can out run a shitty link set up in the rough stuff.

I call :bs: ....yea last trophy trucks I saw where all runnin leafs it the new cool thing to do. :rolleyes:

#10 ·
Matt Helton is the current 1450 champ and he runs deaver leaf springs in the rear. Of course they are set up and tuned propperly. He beat out many other trucks that were linked in the rear. Obviously high end trophy trucks do have properly set up links not to mention center mounted a amrs and so on, but if properly tuned deaver 62's and a set of bypass shocks can do just as well as a linked truck.

#13 ·
yes picks needed cause I'm on the fence with either a canti setup or run 12's and limit the travel to about 14 when I go 62's.

Bob your dumb, I was obviously referring to a Toyota or other production truck.

But in the late 80's class 8's where the faster vehicles in the desert and had to run what the truck had stock IE it came with leafs you needed leafs. To get around this guys ran a elliptical spring off the front of the axle kinda as lower links and then ran coilovers and shocks on top of the axle.

#14 ·
ahhhh ok..... :rolleyes:

jermedic said:
Matt Helton is the current 1450 champ and he runs deaver leaf springs in the rear. Of course they are set up and tuned propperly. He beat out many other trucks that were linked in the rear. Obviously high end trophy trucks do have properly set up links not to mention center mounted a amrs and so on, but if properly tuned deaver 62's and a set of bypass shocks can do just as well as a linked truck.

#15 ·
TimF said:
But in the late 80's class 8's where the faster vehicles in the desert and had to run what the truck had stock IE it came with leafs you needed leafs. To get around this guys ran a elliptical spring off the front of the axle kinda as lower links and then ran coilovers and shocks on top of the axle.
Actually a quarter-elliptical setup doesn't use coilovers, the upside-down leafs running off a roller on the axle support the weight of the truck, and bypasses coming off of the axle or trailing arms control the damping. Basically a 3 or 4 link setup but instead of coilovers on the trailing arms they used a large (like 23 or 24 something leafs) leaf pack cut in half and ran upside down. Pretty funky setup, but pretty sweet when setup right.

#16 ·
biggest problem with this set-up was the leafs would always break.

Baja Belk said:
Actually a quarter-elliptical setup doesn't use coilovers, the upside-down leafs running off a roller on the axle support the weight of the truck, and bypasses coming off of the axle or trailing arms control the damping. Basically a 3 or 4 link setup but instead of coilovers on the trailing arms they used a large (like 23 or 24 something leafs) leaf pack cut in half and ran upside down. Pretty funky setup, but pretty sweet when setup right.

#19 ·
TBob said:
HELLO?? are you following the conversation? - I've never seen 62" quarter elipe deavers - :rolleyes:
Yeah I understand, I was following the convo perfectly fine. Mike was saying how it was a sweet set-up with the cut leafs (23-24 pack) and you said they break, then I said I've never seen 62" Deavers break which is good news for the way Pinky is set-up :rolleyes:

#20 ·
who the hell is Pinky?

Tweeter said:
Yeah I understand, I was following the convo perfectly fine. Mike was saying how it was a sweet set-up with the cut leafs (23-24 pack) and you said they break, then I said I've never seen 62" Deavers break which is good news for the way Pinky is set-up :rolleyes:

#23 ·
prerunnerguy said:
Nice upgrades.. We all need to plan another trip before it gets to hot.

Tim I talked to Jesse about the motor mounts I am going to head over there Thursday and show him my Tacoma.
Sweet! he does great work even though some of it is on rock crawlers! Check out his 05 if you get a chance, first one I had seen with 62's in the rear and 2.5's.

#25 ·
My nickname is Pinky, to clear things up. ya ya i know, i need to put up some more pics. We finally got some new lower shock mounts taken care of and got the shackle mounts completely gusseted. I am also gettin a 32 gallon Fuel Safe, in the next couple days. Hopefully we can get to the cage work this weekend and start making it look like a truck again.

My current DD while my truck is in the shop is a piece of shit 98 galant with no air conditioning and the windows wont roll down. It is a total sketchy car. It is so bad that cops trail me all the time. Now that is dedication!

#26 ·
Update
Slow progress but we are starting to get everything together. Being poor and building trucks dont mix! The cage work will start tomarrow and the fuel safe comes in next week. Let me know what you guys think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.