TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. I'm kinda new to fabrication although I've done a few things here and there. I recently found out that a buddy of mine has a tig welder....and another has a mig. There's a metal fab shop to help me with cutting the gussets and their prices are reasonable so I'm willing to take a stab at this project. Before I go and totally fark things up I wanted to bounce the design off of you guys.

I've been looking at builds for a bit and I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. I am also still learning how to work with Sketchup so I wasn't able to draw in the shackles like I wanted to or really do the rocker protection either. All of the plate steel is 1/4" and after thinking about it I will bolt the bumper to the frame. I figured a bumper that slides onto the frame with a box design would be easier to bolt up and help a little out with strength. I'm guessing the bumper alone will weigh over 100lbs....if not closer to 200lbs. This I'm not sure of because I've never messed with 1/4" steel. I braced the right side of the bumper because I plan to toss a tire carrier on it.

I know this thing looks complex but my buddy said it'd take him a couple of days but he could put it together with me. I'm not sure whether I should tig it or mig it though. I know both would be plenty strong from what I've read...but like I said I'm new at this and I'm wanting to learn more so I can do this myself eventually. Comments and tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'm no fabricator but I do construction. Have you thought about tying in that side protection to the frame on the front part of the round tube. It seems like it is cantilevered out there. Connect the end of the tube to the rectangular area that is to bolted to the frame rail.

Maybe it is uneeded as I am unfamiliiar with welding and stregnth of metal structure. The stress, or point load transfer might cause it to bend in against the sheet metal.

Looks good for start up. I just started playing with a new rear bumper design. Yours looks better than mine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on doing it but I hadn't gotten that far into measuring dimensions. I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow and see if I can't get it tied in. My main concern is going too heavy for my springs....but I guess I'll get that figured once I purchase the metal and throw it in the back of the truck lol.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was planning on doing it but I hadn't gotten that far into measuring dimensions. I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow and see if I can't get it tied in. My main concern is going too heavy for my springs....but I guess I'll get that figured once I purchase the metal and throw it in the back of the truck lol.
One thing leads to another... I hate doing things half ass, but sometimes just a little progress keeps the motivation up. I could use some armor and some bigger tires. That means regearing and a supercharger. Plus shipping to Hawaii:eek:

My initial design on the old version of Google Sketch Up...My first try on Sketch Up. Solidworks is beating down my door to sell me their software(emails etc.) They can see what a master designer I am:rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It doesn't mount to the frame anywhere but the side bracing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually other than the mounting point you have a pretty efficient design as far as weight goes if my opinion can count for anything lol. I agree about the mounting point but that could be a way of building in crush points too. If you beefed up the framing to the side rails and added some more you could use sheer points so if someone hit you hard enough....the bumper would just fall on their car. Also you could incorporate the hitch into a triple plate pass through, and then add a section that would bolt to the rear of the frame too. I will try to show you what I mean.....I hope you don't mind if I borrow your side panel. I really like it and I could bump the plate thickness down to 1/8" for the side panel for saving a bit of weight.

However I do not know whether that would work or not. My gears spin fast.....it's the question of whether they have any traction.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I was talking about with the side bracing.....maybe this would be a better solution for side bracing on the sides?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts